Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Need urgent advice please

(64 Posts)
aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 12:50:21

Yesterday night my BIL’s wife called the police and left the house with their daughter aged 2. She called the police whilst they where arguing, she told them that he had hit her and her daughter. The police came and took her and her daughter. The y did not leave anything with my BIL. We have no idea where they are and we have no clue on what to do, would really appreciate some help and advice. Thank you.

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 12:52:18

So your BIL is a violent abuser who has been violent towards his wife and daughter. The police have removed them to a place of safety and not told the violent abuser or his family where this is.

What exactly do you want?

Daddelion Mon 28-Jan-13 13:01:27

Where does it say he was violent?

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:03:40

It says he hit his wife and daughter. I'd call that violent?

aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 13:04:15

He did not hit her, my husband and my MIL were there at the time. She made the accusation that he hit her but he did not.

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:06:45

Do your SIL and BIL live with you?

If your SIL was removed by the police (presumably to a place of safety with her 2 year old) it must have been a humdinger of an argument. Usually the man would be asked to leave.

aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 13:09:02

Yes, they live in my MIL's house.

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:09:49

oh that poor girl. homeless with a baby.

What exactly do you want advice on?

aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 13:12:02

How my BIL can find out where his daughter is and what he can do to get her back.

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:13:56

I am sorry but I am incredibly shocked at the fact that you want a baby returned to someone who has driven a mother and young child out of their home.

I assume, since the police were involved, that Social Services will now be taking an interest. Perhaps your BIL could contact them or the police?

mumblechum1 Mon 28-Jan-13 13:14:45

The chances are that =:
1. The police will arrest him, and then bail him with conditions attached not to return to the house until the matter's been dealt with one way or another

2. She'll get a solicitor to apply for a non-molestation injunction (so he doesn't assault, threaten or harrass her, usually for a year) and probably also an occupation order to force him out.

Whether either of these things happen depend on whether the courts believe the wife.

mumblechum1 Mon 28-Jan-13 13:15:58

The wife/mum will probably be housed in a refuge until it is safe for her to go back to the house.

Actually,just realised they don't have their own home so the occupation order bit won't work.

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:16:28

mumblechum1 will the do 1 even though it's MIL house?

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:18:12

I just cannot understand how the OP would think that the police would remove a young child and mother from their home after a row, and "leave something" with the other party to the (potentially violent) argument - what? Telling the BIL where they took them? That wouldn't be very sensible of the police now, would it?

aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 13:20:59

The police have not arrested him, is there anything he can do to get to see his daughter.

aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 13:23:09

As I stated before he did not hit her, she phoned the police and made that accusation when she realised things weren't going her way in the arguement.

PureQuintessence Mon 28-Jan-13 13:24:51

Has he hit her in the past?

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:24:55

I said (potentially violent) in brackets because that's what the police were told and it must have been a pretty heated argument for them to lift her and the toddler and take them away.

Why can't he ring the police? Or Social Services? I suspect it may also be helpful for him to talk to a solicitor.

aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 13:24:58

And she has phoned the police before during an arguement and the police left a card with my BIL to contact them for information, that's why I thought they would leave something.

PureQuintessence Mon 28-Jan-13 13:25:27

Do you know what the argument was about?

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:26:26

Well, surely he can look up the number of the local police station and ring it?

aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 13:26:51

No, he has never hit her. I will get him to contact police and social services. Thanks

PureQuintessence Mon 28-Jan-13 13:26:59

Poor woman, she must have felt really desperate, and ganged up upon, by all her husbands family.

Do you have no empathy for her?

courtsareadisgrace Mon 28-Jan-13 13:27:54

Seems to me that that poor woman has a set of very interfering in-laws.

What about leaving it to her and your BIL to sort out?

aluvss Mon 28-Jan-13 13:28:33

Yes, they want to split up so my DH went there yesterday to sort everything out, but she wants to take her daughter abroad where as my BIL doesn't want that. She wants him to pay for her and the child to go abroad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: