Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Child support in U.K

(7 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 29-Jan-13 09:34:22


Collaborate Tue 29-Jan-13 09:17:19

blush The perils of early morning off the cuff advice.

babybarrister Tue 29-Jan-13 07:47:28

I am afraid that the above is incorrect. Whilst you do not have the right to go to the CSA you certainly do have the right to do to the English court if one parent lives in the UK- see para 14 of Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989. I am positive that it will be much better for you to apply here as the system will be much more generous that the Phillipines. There will also be no additional problems of enforcement. You need to get on with it as legal aid is being phased out - go on to the resolution website and find a family lawyer doing legal aid ASAP as by April legal aid will be gone and they all have waiting lists - you could try Christine Boot at Grants or you can PM me and I will suggest some others but please act nowsmilesmile

Collaborate Tue 29-Jan-13 07:39:39

Moose is right. The CSA does not have jurisdiction to deal with maintenance for children not resident in the UK. Your only option is to get a court order in your own country and then enforce it in the UK through the courts here.

Fe2joy Tue 29-Jan-13 01:17:51

Thank you so much! I was really thinking someone could help me from CSA since i tried to talked one from the CSA and said yes but , Yes there are lots and things may to do.they are asking my passport copy to notarise and so on..but didn't get the reply what more and how much as well..???But as you said I can't, so maybe another options coud i do ..Anyway, thank u so much for the reply..Hope more advices and options as well..


MooseBeTimeForCoffee Fri 25-Jan-13 01:46:05

The Phillipines and the UK have a reciprocal agreement. As you reside in the Phillipines you would need to apply to their court for a maintenance order which could then be sent to the UK courts for enforcement.

As you and the child do not reside in the UK you can't use the UK court to make the application. Nor can you use the CSA.

Fe2joy Fri 25-Jan-13 01:34:17

Hello! Just tryin' this to ask help and advice regarding child support...i am 26 yrs of age. i have a 6th month old baby boy and his father is working and living in u.k ( british ) & i am a Philippine resident but working in UAE. We're not married and he does not give any amount for my child and he knows as well that it's his..My question is: it possible for me to sue him in u.k even i am not resident regarding financially support of my kid?
2. How ? And what's the process on it?
3.Can the CSA help my situation?
4.How can i get a court order?
5. how much it will cost for the processing?

I hope someone could help me in my situation.just really need your opinion reagrding this matter..
Thank you so much!


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now