Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Mortgage question..

(4 Posts)
Mum2Fergus Fri 25-Jan-13 06:53:38

Yes, mortgage and deeds in my name only.

Seabright Thu 24-Jan-13 23:05:27

Line one should read "is the house being bought...."

Seabright Thu 24-Jan-13 23:04:45

Yes he could. Is the house the bein your sole name too? It should be.

He could claim a share if he pays towards the house, for example if he paid for an extension or for double glazing.

If you want to avoid that, you need a formal agreement (they have various names, i usually call them co-habitation agreements) between you setting out who pays for what, who is responsible for what and what happens in the event of various contingencies (such as pregnancy, serious illness, unemployment) etc.

Your solicitor should be able to draw one up as part of the purchase transaction, I do them fairly regularly and they usually cost about £750.

That might sound a lot, but it's a he'll of a lot cheap than fighting about it afterwards.

Mum2Fergus Thu 24-Jan-13 21:05:26

Read something on another thread that made me think...we're due to move to a new house soon. Mortgage in my name only...should DP and I ever split up what claim would he have on the house? If any, what can I do to protect my home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now