Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Council tenancy and separation

(4 Posts)
bexsybooboo Sun 20-Jan-13 18:37:12

Me and husband currently going through a bad separation. I instigated the separation following years of being unhappy and EA/subtle control.
Despite this he is a good dad and loves our 2 children.
He has said he will not move out but I can leave with the children.
We haven't agreed anything formally yet but have been discussing 50-50 care of children.
My concern is I can't afford private rent and there is nothing within our area for the schools. But I do not think the council will house me and the children as husband already housed.
Has anyone had any experience of this and the local authority housing each parent so joint care/custody cld be maintained??

mumblechum1 Mon 21-Jan-13 00:12:08

So are you currently renting privately?

bexsybooboo Mon 21-Jan-13 06:59:14

Hi. We are currently in a local authority property. Have been here for 3 years.

mumblechum1 Mon 21-Jan-13 08:06:33

OK, then you need to make an application to the LA for a transfer of the tenancy. If they don't agree you willhave to apply to the court within the divorce proceedings.

I'd suggest you find a solicitor asap but don't move out in the meantime, whatever you do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now