Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorce question

(4 Posts)
smiler01 Wed 02-Jan-13 13:35:40

I have been seperated from my husband for 2.5 years and both agree to divorce.

He moved out of our home splitting everything we had which wasnt much just furniture and then roughly 6 months later our home was repossessed due to the split and recession at the time. We had no savings neither have pensions or anything else financial.

We do have a 7 year old child, we have agreement in place regarding when he sees her and how much he pays which has been working well for 2.5 years.

We want to divorce, both agree and know we can divorce based on living apart for 2 years. As we have nothing to split or fight over and it's literally just now to leagally end the marriage we want to do it ourselves via the court. we have read up on the forms and cost which were splitting and know what we have to do.

However, could someone help with just one question I have???

I have read about clean break orders, in our situation would this be required? I presume yes as it would stop any future claims on money if I won the lottery for example (I live in hope smile )
If it is required, as we will be doing everything ourselves, where do we get one drawn up do solicitors do them for a fee without doing all the other bits and also when does it get dealt with after applied for the nisi before the absolute??

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Collaborate Wed 02-Jan-13 15:00:39

It's not obligatory, but a good idea.

You might get a solicitor to do it for a fixed fee. I usually quote around £500. Look on the website for details of a solicitor near you.

You lodge the draft order in court after decree nisi.

smiler01 Thu 03-Jan-13 13:34:16

Thank you very much.

The other thing on the form that's confusing is the jurisdiction. Me and my stbxh were both born in UK and live here so do I tick the box for article 3(1) of the council regulation following grounds the petitioner and respondent are both habitually resident in England and Wales.

Thank you smile

mumblechum1 Fri 04-Jan-13 15:12:32

Yes, that's correct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now