Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Husband wants solicitors arrangement for a 50/50 agreement if we divorce......should I agree

(8 Posts)
P35 Sat 29-Dec-12 23:15:18

Advice please, my husband wants me to go to a solicitors and agree to a 50/50 split if we divorce. I had an affair and he thinks it's only fair that he gets them 50% of the time as I have been unfaithful. Kids are 7 & 5. Advice please??

quoteunquote Sun 30-Dec-12 16:17:22

I know a lot of people who find the fifty fifty split really works for them.

It's certainly stops people feeling hard done by.

MaBumble Sun 06-Jan-13 05:06:36

I have no advice from a legal perspective, but I wouldn't sign anything at this point. Your feelings of guilt, his hurt feelings, have not got a lot to do with the patenting of and shared responsibilty towards your children.

Booyhoo Sun 06-Jan-13 05:17:25

the reason for a 50/50 split should be to do with what is best for the children.

it should certainly NOT be used as a punishment for a cheating spouse!

don't sign anything. put your children first. if 50/50 will be best for them then agree it in the divorce settlement. if you dont think it will be best for them then negotiate fair terms. children aren't sticks to beat their parents with!

KentuckyFriedChildren Sun 06-Jan-13 05:30:07

There is no reason you shouldn't have a 50/50 split if you do divorce (I assume since you haven't given a reason why this is not suitable) but I don't think you should sign anything to that effect. It isn't clear from your OP whether you ultimately intend to divorce but I don't see why you would decide how to co-parent before deciding if you will split, and certainly not as a punishment for your affair. Surely its about what is best for the children and that may not be 50/50 depending on your circumstances. Tell him no.

Collaborate Sun 06-Jan-13 10:03:05

Don't think any lawyer has responded to your thread so far (going on what has been posted).
See a solicitor. Identify one on the website.
There are often many reasons why the share could be other than equal. That's why you need legal advice. So you can find out what you would get on divorce rather than what someone with no legal qualifications thinks you deserve, without knowing your situation.

nocake Sun 06-Jan-13 15:18:54

Can I add that our legal system does not penalise one partner in a divorce if the split is their fault and particularly not when it comes to child care and support. There is no concept of "this is what you deserve because of your behaviour".

Booyhoo Sun 06-Jan-13 15:22:53

collaborate has someone posted inaccurate information?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now