Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How to divorce?

(3 Posts)
meboo Fri 28-Dec-12 19:56:00

Hello can you please help me to advise a friend on divorce. She and her husband live together and have a child. The friend claims disability and the husband works. They decided to split but due to finances have not been able to leave the house they own. Life is pretty unbearable and they have now decided to divorce. They own another property but the wife could not move into that property as she could not afford the mortgage on her own, (and it's currently rented, rent pays the mortgage) so it seems the sensible thing is to sell both properties and split the profit.
The husband has told my friend to go to a solicitor and fill out a form but she cannot afford a solicitor. How can she proceed, spending as little as possible and not getting screwed over by her husband (which by all account he will try and do)

RedHelenB Fri 28-Dec-12 23:03:34

Some solicitors offer a free half hour to give a general outline of how the divorce will proceed & how things may be split. She may also be eligible for legal aid.

STIDW Sat 29-Dec-12 02:04:29

If your friend has no/low income she may be eligible for legal aid and she could contact the Community Legal Services who may be able to point her in the direction of free advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now