Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

When to report violence to children to police?

(8 Posts)
Rolston Fri 28-Dec-12 01:09:43

When should parents call the police/social services in relation to violence to or in front of children?
Social services have a tendency to take children into care and discuss the situation later. Any parent who accepts violence to or in front of their children may not get them back. What about threats of violence, but not actual violence? So under what circumstances should parents call in the police?
For example :-

a) Violence in the home by visitors (e.g. friends or relatives)?
b) Threats of violence towards the family (including the parents) to come round to the home by visitors (e.g. friends or relatives)?
c) As for a and b above, but by strangers who know (or who do not know) where you live?
d) Loan sharks who threaten violence, on a regular basis, if you do not pay; some of these will commit violence some will not actually do it; can you wait until the violence actually happens?.
e) As for d) but criminals demanding “protection” money or sex.
f) Threats made by people down the pub, who are drunk.
g) Violence witnessed whilst walking down the street.
h) A break in by criminals who damage personal belongings (whether you are in the home or not).
i) Where a threat of violence is made but in your opinion it will not actually be carried out. What happens if it is actually carried out; do you have reasonable grounds for defending your opinion?

Under some circumstances if you do not report violence to or in front of the children, social services and the courts consider this serious neglect, and may permanently remove the children from your care and may imprison you; will this happen if threats are made but not actually carried out?
I am trying to find advice on the circumstances concerned, does anyone know where to go to find it.

Tortington Fri 28-Dec-12 01:21:00

is this for an assignment or something?

SolidGoldFrankensteinandmurgh Fri 28-Dec-12 01:24:24

I can't see SS taking people's children away because they were burgled FFS.

RyleDup Fri 28-Dec-12 01:33:25

Are you wanting advice for an assignment?

LittleBairn Fri 28-Dec-12 01:37:57

WTF have you been reading, the Daily mail?
NO one has their children taken because they are a VICTIM of crime! Or even because their children ever witnessed a violent incident that was out of their parents control.
Those claiming such rubbish are usually withholding a lot of vital facts, usually the facts of what they did in order for their children to be removed.

LineRunner Fri 28-Dec-12 01:40:26

Social Services are nearly broke ffs. They don't have the money for increasing legal costs and care placements. They are hardly likely to ask a family court judge to grant a care order on the basis that someone got broken into, unless there is a hell of a lot more to it than that.

What's the real backstory?

Collaborate Fri 28-Dec-12 07:50:35


HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Fri 28-Dec-12 07:51:37

Yes. I know where to find it.

Contact social services and ask them.

They will be able to tell you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now