Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How to find out if anyone was arrested for a crime I reported

(9 Posts)
jessjessjess Wed 19-Dec-12 12:19:33

I reported a crime when I was 14 and never heard anything more about it. I'd like to know if anyone was arrested. It's really bugging me.

I spoke to a v. nice police officer yesterday who seemed to think it didn't come under subject access as I wasn't the person who committed the crime, but then had a voicemail from another officer saying I need to do a subject access request, which costs £10.

I don't want to go through the hassle of completing the form, sorting out proof of ID, paying £10, etc, only to find they can't tell me anyway. I'd like to know if anyone was ever arrested or charged. I can only remember his first name (which was potentially fake) and the town and county in his address, so I can't just look online for crime records.

Can anyone advise as to whether it's worth making a subject access request? Or, if not, what else I could do? Thanks.

PolterGoose Wed 19-Dec-12 19:26:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jessjessjess Wed 19-Dec-12 20:43:51

I was the victim of the letters, but they never told me anything more. Sigh. Don't think there's much I can do.

cumfy Wed 19-Dec-12 21:04:54

It seems like nothing happened.

If you were the victim, you would have been informed if not appeared in court to give evidence.

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 19-Dec-12 21:07:52

Can you give a brief idea of what you reported?

It's unlikely, from what you've said, that you'd be able to find out if anyone was arrested. Confidentiality would prevent them from revealing anyone's name or situation, so your SAR request would only return the details you gave in the call.

Depending on the crime, there may be other ways to find out, but it does depend on what was happening and how much time you want to invest in finding out if anyone was ever arrested.

jessjessjess Thu 20-Dec-12 00:38:15

Oops sorry thought I explained hence the reference to letters. I had a penpal who posed as a 14yo boy and sent me some very graphic, inappropriate letters and drawings. Police said they would investigate him as he might well be a paedo. He blatantly wasn't 14.

So he maybe was arrested not for sending the letters but for other things they may have found.

jessjessjess Thu 20-Dec-12 00:39:22

I can't recall the address he used and only recall his first name. Those would help. Even tho I supplied the info I doubt they'd give it back to me now.

bradywasmyfavouritewiseman Thu 20-Dec-12 01:09:25

If he had been arrested you would have been informed. Even it wasn't in relation to the letters, but your letters led them to find other stuff. You should have been informed.

jessjessjess Thu 20-Dec-12 11:22:48

Guess he wasn't arrested then - wasn't sure if I could deduce that. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now