Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any advice on what happens when a single parent dies?

(9 Posts)
CherylPenry Thu 13-Dec-12 17:02:17

What a sad story and how tragic for the children involved sad

If the mother left no valid will then the government have a duty of care to place both children in a loving and safe environment. This usually involves assessments and evaluations from social services. Without meaning to alarm anyone but should there be no obvious choice of suitable guardian then the children would become wards of court until the decision is made. It's a bit like the process for adoption. Sadly, the courts may not choose the person or people that the mum would have chosen. What a sad story and how tragic for the children involved sad

mumblechum1 Tue 11-Dec-12 17:04:07

If there's anyone else in the family who would be prepared to care for the children, then they apply for a residence order under the Children Act. So long as the court agree that they'd be best looked after by that family member (with contact to the father), then that would seem to be the obvious solution.

Otherwise SS could get involved and try to come to some sort of agreement between the family. I don't have recent experience of public law children act stuff, so someone else may come along with more details of how that woudld work.

44SoStartingOver Tue 11-Dec-12 17:00:13

That is one (scary) possibility.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 11-Dec-12 16:57:40

I suppose he could share parenting with a family.member if he amd they were willing?

44SoStartingOver Tue 11-Dec-12 16:55:52

That seems reasonable. Tbh I am concerned he is not going to 'man up'.

I hope I am proven wrong, but I do have reasons for my doubts. I guess my concerns are as much about his willingness as his rights. But no-one knows how that is going to pan out.


GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 11-Dec-12 16:49:05

Gosh, what a situation. Presumably as he is the genetic father of both and the only remaining parent, he would have both.

44SoStartingOver Tue 11-Dec-12 16:47:37

Sorry I meant dc rather than dd. stupid stressy typo

DowagersHump Tue 11-Dec-12 16:45:28

If he's her parent, then she's his responsibility. I guess he could give her up for adoption but that seems horribly cruel (particularly if he's going to raise her sibling).

44SoStartingOver Tue 11-Dec-12 16:41:53

A family member has passed away. She had two children with the same bio father. Due to changes in law (rather than their personal situation) he has parental responsibly for one but not the other.

In the absence of a will or appointed guardians, does anyone know how things work?

At present it is unclear whether he is willing to take the dd full time, or capable. (not trying to be judgey here), he has been involved but not necessarily in a way that means he is necessarily able to become a ft parent.

Thanks for sharing any knowledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now