Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Getting rid of ex-lodger's possessions

(9 Posts)
MsSampson Fri 30-Nov-12 07:59:20

DP used to have a lodger, who was also a good friend. Lodger moved abroad about 6 years ago, leaving a large amount of stuff behind, paying £50 a month to store it in his old room. DP decided to sell flat (I was pregnant!) a year ago and gave notice that lodger needed to move stuff out. We saw lodger in February abroad, and he said he would come back and sort it. Since then, nothing! Despite repeated emails etc. We also asked for him to return keys in one email, which he did with no note, so we know he's receiving them. Anyway, the flat wasn't selling, so in June we decided to do a bit of a Phil Spencer, and moved all of his stuff out into a storage unit using a man and van. (By this point I am 39 weeks and very very angry). We gave him several months notice for doing this. Anyway, still nothing. We have also spoken to his parents who are in contact with him, so again, we know that he knows. We have now spent over £800 on removal and storage and can't afford to continue. I would cheerfully set fire to it all, but realistically we are going to get house clearance type people in, and try and recoup a fraction of the cost. Again, we'll write and give notice of doing this. Can we legally do this? Is there anything else we should do to cover ourselves? Thanks!

ohfunnyface Fri 30-Nov-12 08:03:18

Can the parents not take it??

Sounds dreadful. You have my sympathy.

SoupDragon Fri 30-Nov-12 08:06:31

I would give notice to both the parents (by recorded delivery) and the ex-lodger saying you will sell it on X date to recoup the costs you have incurred storing it for him

SavoyCabbage Fri 30-Nov-12 08:10:36

is the 800 pounds for JUST his stuff!! I would be furious.

I too am aroad and I left things behind too and I can tell you that when you leave, you think that you might need these things because you don't know what is going to happen or where you are going to be. Four years later I have no need for a carseat or any of the other tot, probably and to be honest I can't really remember what I left or what I had. He is living another life while you are stuck with his rubbish.

Send it to his parents house.

SavoyCabbage Fri 30-Nov-12 08:11:18

Or sell it.

MsSampson Fri 30-Nov-12 08:40:36

Yep, £800 for his stuff. £200 to move it, then £120 a month. There is a lot of it. I am furious, and angry with DP too for letting it drift on. But think he is upset about someone who was a really good friend dropping off the map in such a way. Think we will do recorded letters thing (although, more expense, grrr). We considered delivering it to parents house, but it's a long way, and again, would incur more cost.
It's only recently I've got DP to take him of the sodding wedding guest list...

Collaborate Fri 30-Nov-12 09:36:09

It's the Torsts (Interference with goods ) Act that you need to adhere to.

Follow this link, adhere strictly to the advice/the act, and you'll be fine.

You'll need to read the act too, which is here:

MsSampson Fri 30-Nov-12 13:17:36

Thanks collaborate, v useful.

plutocrap Fri 30-Nov-12 15:55:22

Surely he/his parents aren't entitled to it any more, given the expenses which have been run up? Definitely don't incur more expense by sending to his parents and losing the only leverage (and collateral!) you've got!

You've given fair warning so far. Now write with a notice of costs, informibg them that you'll sell to defray those costs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now