Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

residency order

(7 Posts)
leosmummy1992 Tue 27-Nov-12 16:28:33

My ex-partner has just applied to the courts for a residency order because we are having trouble agreeing on a solution for caring for our son. can anyone tell me how much it would generally cost in solicitors fees nad how long this takes?

thank you!!
xxx

Collaborate Tue 27-Nov-12 16:37:15

Ooh: How long is a piece of string? Can cost anything from £500 to £20,000. Depends on the nature of the issues, and the nature of the parties.

leosmummy1992 Tue 27-Nov-12 16:46:55

well i am hoping it will be fairly amicable!!! do you know how long it takes until the order falls on my doorstep?

STIDW Tue 27-Nov-12 17:08:20

That's also difficult to answer. A first hearing is around 6 weeks (or more at busy times of the year) after the court receives the application. When an agreement can be reached an order can be made. If there is no agreement the judge will determine what she/he requires in the form of evidence/reports, sets a timetable for future hearings and may make an interim order.

Some parents settle at the first hearing whereas others have several procedural/review hearings where no agreement can be reached and progress to a final hearing where the judge makes a decision.

LizaTarbucksAuntie Tue 27-Nov-12 17:11:20

You can self rep as well, you don't 'need' to have a solicitor.

Is he applying for sole residency?

mumblechum1 Tue 27-Nov-12 17:11:37

Have you tried mediation first? Court proceedings are never cheap. You should ringfence about £5k for a relatively straightforward case, ie not settled at the first appointment, but settled after the Cafcass report).

For a more complex case which goes to a final hearing after a finding of fact hearing (not all cases need finding of fact hearings), you'd be looking at somewhere between £15,000 and £20,000.

Which is why mediation is always worth pursuing.

leosmummy1992 Wed 28-Nov-12 10:56:08

well, i suggested mediation after i got a letter from his solicitor, and he agreed to it, we havent been yet and i then got another letter from his solicitors saying that he had put an application into the courts without even trying mediation. i am not sure hwat he is applying for, but the problem is i am so close to being offered a job quite far away from where he lives, obviously i want my son to come with me and where we are going would have so much more opportunity for me to make a 'better life' for the two of us...i just really need to know when to expect the letter of the first hearing to come through the door!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now