Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

solicitors help!!

(6 Posts)
klovely Tue 27-Nov-12 16:27:55

how long does it take to recieve divorce papers.my husband attended his solicitors to file on 8th nov and told me i should hear soon.to date i have not had them.just wondered why so long?

Collaborate Tue 27-Nov-12 16:38:25

They could be very busy. They could be waiting for more documents from him.

Usually the court should turn the paperwork round in about a week.

klovely Tue 27-Nov-12 16:55:14

thanks i think they must be.what happens after i recieve them and sign them.where do they go and what happens after that.thanks

mumblechum1 Tue 27-Nov-12 17:15:16

His solicitors should send you the draft petition for your comments before they issue at court. So if you haven't yet had the draft, you may wish to prod your husband.

Once you get the draft, let his solicitors know if there's anything you object to (be particularly careful if he's asking you to pay his costs). They'll then issue the original petn, you'll get a sealed copy in the post and you then sign an acknowledgement of service form and send that back to the court.

klovely Tue 27-Nov-12 17:29:57

thank you.i think the hold up maybe because he is recently unemployed and they were waiting for proof of jobseekers allowance from the job centre.he has told me that the solicitors have said it should be pretty straight forward as we have been seperated over 2 years and have nothing to split financially.our daughters are now adults.i dont want to prod him heis so vindictive and would smell a rat.i have been waiting for this for so long as my partner and i would love to marry asap but dont want to let ex know this as he would halt divorce.im not in a position to pay for costs myself so i was delighted that he had taken the step himself;-);-);-)

klovely Tue 27-Nov-12 17:34:04

after the acknowledgement of service is sent back is that when the judge issues a decree nissi? how long does that usually take? sorry to be a pest:-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now