Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Complaining to a legal firm - help please?

(14 Posts)
shopafrolic Tue 20-Nov-12 19:34:54

Calling all legal types out there..... For reasons I won't go into we need to complain to a solicitors firm about how we have been 'looked after' by one of the partners.
The issue is that on their website, the individual we wish to complain about is also their customer care manager who we should apparently register all complaints with!
Can anyone tell me in this instance who we can complain to instead? Another partner, is their such a thing as an MD?
Thanks in advance.....

Gigondas Tue 20-Nov-12 19:37:14

Look at your engagement letter as should be another name in there to complain to. If not md sounds a good alternative.

Also have you checked law society website as I they have guidance there.

shopafrolic Tue 20-Nov-12 19:40:49

The law society links to the Ombudsman who says n the first instance you should complain to the client care manager (who is the individual we have the problem with). There is no other name listed on the documentation we received unfortunately. Looks like a call to the Ombudsman in the morning.

shopafrolic Tue 20-Nov-12 19:44:25

There are 9 partners within the firm but there seems to be no such thing as an MD. Can anyone explain who ultimately is in charge at a law firm?

mumblechum1 Tue 20-Nov-12 19:47:01

There isn't an MD in a law firm. Who is the Senior Partner?

The client care letter which will have been sent out at the beginning will tell you the first person to complain to. If it is the same person as the one you wish to complain about, they've messed up, and I suggest you then contact the senior partner.

If you want to PM me with the name of the company I'll look at the website and see if I can figure out who the senior partner is (it may not be obvious)

Gigondas Tue 20-Nov-12 19:47:26

Managing partner ?

shopafrolic Tue 20-Nov-12 19:52:34

No senior partner or managing partner showing. All the titles are partner and head of conveyancing etc or partner and head of commercial property.....

Gigondas Tue 20-Nov-12 19:54:57

Can you send it to head of whatever type of work it was you had done (eg conveyancing) if that isn't the same person.

shopafrolic Tue 20-Nov-12 19:58:14

Nope - he's it ! Head of Civil Litigation. This is why we're a little stuck? We'll call the Ombudsman. I don't see how to escalate the issue short if emailing ALL the partners! confused

FergusSingsTheBlues Tue 20-Nov-12 20:00:10

Just go straight to the ombudsman. I dont see what else you can do.

CabbageLeaves Tue 20-Nov-12 20:04:15

I think you can complain to him? I am pretty certain you have to complain to the firm and give them chance to resolve things before LO will get involved.

I wrote to sol handling my case who escalated it to his appropriate manager and then I dealt with that person. Unresolved I went to LO. Some time later LO settled by achieving full refund of costs and extra money to pay new sol to put right what had been done incorrectly.

mumblechum1 Tue 20-Nov-12 20:08:01

You do have to complain to the firm before the ombudsman. I suggest that you look at the website to work out who is head of another dept (maybe Family), email them, and say that you wish to make a complaint about Mr x, can they please tell you to whom it should be addressed because their client care letter doesn't tell you (make sure it doesn't though!).

mycatlikestwiglets Wed 21-Nov-12 09:28:58

Have you raised your complaint with the partner concerned himself? If not, I would suggest you do so - if you are not satisfied with the result you can then ask him to escalate your complaint to the senior partner (if it is right that no one specific is named in your letter of engagement). Don't be worried about addressing the complaint to him in the first instance - any decent solicitor will be falling over themself to try to put things right. Slightly different context but I work in a magic circle firm and the first port of call for client complaints is always the partner in charge of the matter. The client can then direct their complaint to a more senior partner if they are not happy with how it is dealt with initially.

Incidentally, as mumblechum advised, you do need to complain to the firm before the ombudsman - not least because the firm will probably need to notify its professional indemnity insurers of your complaint.

shopafrolic Wed 21-Nov-12 19:41:17

One of the partners has responded. Apparently there is a meeting this evening to discuss the issue so fingers crossed. Thanks so much for all your responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now