Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Car Insurance - admitting liability

(10 Posts)
redfairy Thu 08-Nov-12 14:01:22

When they say not to admit liability for a car accident do they mean don't admit it to your own insurer as well as the other party? I was involved in an accident this morning and I know it was my poor driving that caused it as I manouvered with checking properly it was safe to do so (to change lanes). I admitted nothing to the other car driver but do I admit it to my insurers so they have fair picture of what happened. I hate lying. I would hate them to put up a fight on my behalf because I am insisting the other party was in the wrong when they weren't. I have protected NCB and a 25 year clean licence with no other accidents or offences.

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Nov-12 14:03:10

yes, you tell your insurers exactly what happened

mamababa Thu 08-Nov-12 14:05:48

I think if you were changing lane then regardless of how you tell them you will be deemed at fault. I would just tell them the factual circumstances eg I moved to the right hand lane and ran into x.

FancyPuffin Thu 08-Nov-12 14:16:48

I had an accident last year. I drove into the back of someone, it was totally my fault. When I got out my car I apologised to the other driver and gave my details. He was fine.

I phoned my insurers and told them that, I wasn't prepared to excuse myself and make life difficult for the other party. Insurers were fine, my car was a write off although there was only minimal damage to the other car. My insurance has only gone up slightly.

Don't beat yourself up it was an accident even if you caused it, you never meant for this to be the outcome.

redfairy Thu 08-Nov-12 14:17:38

Thanks MAMA I was adamant on the phone to the insurance this morning that we had cut across each other (and blamed him) but after revisiting the island there are two straight on lanes so the other driver was legitimately driving ahead and I cut across him from the left. My insurance has told me thy will argue for 50/50 but I didn't know whether or not you had to maintain innocence in order for them to defend you or to tell them the truth and they work out the best way to reduce liability.

redfairy Thu 08-Nov-12 14:21:45

Thanks Puffin Lying doesn't suit me. Sorry to hear about your accident. My car is badly creased down the drivers side but his car only has few scratches which ironically makes me feel better. smile

ClareMarriott Thu 08-Nov-12 19:14:45

At any scene of a motor accident, all you should be doing is providing each other with your details and insurers details. Then notify your own insurer, provide them with all the details of the accident, the other party/ies involved , witnesses details if applicable and confirm whether or not you are liable for the collision of not. To admit liability at the scene is prejudicing your own insurers position

redfairy Thu 08-Nov-12 20:38:08

Thanks ClareMarriott I didn't admit anything at the scene at all and kept it all as you said. I was more concerned if I had to admit it to my insurers or not.

cathpip Thu 08-Nov-12 20:43:19

I ran into the back of someone 2 months ago, did not admit liability at the scene but did to my insurance company, they were more mildly amused that it was my husband that i ran into and his car has since been written off!! still have not apologised though......

avivabeaver Fri 09-Nov-12 06:42:59

The insurer needs the truth about what happened. They do not want to waste time and money pursuing a line of defence that does not stack up. If at the moment they think its 50/50 they will not repair the other persons car or give him a courtsy car if he comes to them directly. You should call them, let them know you have been back to the scene and now realise your error.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now