Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

insurance claim for accidental damage at work - EXPERTS NEEDED

(5 Posts)
MaureenLove Wed 07-Nov-12 16:18:15

if you accidentally damaged something ( structural) at work with your car, who would you expect to pay/claim?

dont really want to give more details.

mycatlikestwiglets Wed 07-Nov-12 16:32:16

I would expect it to be covered by the third party liability section of my car insurance, and if not, the buildings insurance held by my employer. Either way, I would expect insurance to cover it rather than me personally - although would need to check whether my employment contract might have anything in it which could affect the position. If there is a dispute over which insurer, assuming the motor insurer covers it in principle I would refer it to them and let them wrangle over whether the buildings insurer should contribute.

MaureenLove Wed 07-Nov-12 16:59:23

Obviously id rather just pay than claim. Would an institution not have insurance for this ?

prh47bridge Wed 07-Nov-12 19:53:10

If you caused the damage then you are liable. If they claim against their building insurance I would expect their insurer to want you (or your insurer) to pay.

Note that, even if you pay this personally, you will have to declare it to whoever provides your car insurance.

mycatlikestwiglets Thu 08-Nov-12 09:37:46

Not sure what you mean by "would an institution not have insurance for this". They will undoubtedly have buildings insurance but, as indicated above, it's likely to be a matter for your motor insurer given you are responsible for the damage. That doesn't mean that you can't settle it yourself without resorting to insurance if you are in a position financially to do so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: