Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

NHS Negligence

(2 Posts)
Missnjn Tue 06-Nov-12 20:27:51

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking advice after a catalogue of errors through my PCT.

I'm 26, and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of 18. This was somewhat neglected by my consultant (whom I didn't see for 2 years because I was told to see a clinical nurse specialist instead), and at the age of 21, I had major surgery (which I believe was preventable). 4 months later, I had a procedure to dilate an area of my bowel, and unfortunately was left with a perforated bowel. I appreciate this is one of the risks, however, I asked for a consultant to review me before I went home because I was bleeding a lot, and in considerable pain. My consultant prodded, poked and questioned me, then sent me home. Within 2 hours I was being operated on in a bid to save my life. Following this, 2 months later, I had a further surgery to remove my colon.

Post the final surgery, my periods became heavy and painful, and after visiting my GP, I was referred to a gynaecologist. During this visit, an ultrasound was performed. This scan showed some swelling of my fallopian tube, as well as an ovarian cyst. A few months later, I was still having issues, so an MRI scan was performed. This showed that the swelling had worsened, and the radiographer recommended the situation were investigated further. I heard nothing.

In May this year, I was horrendous abdominal pains, and was re-referred. During the appointment, I was told I had a large (13cm) ovarian cyst, and because of my medical history, was referred to a colorectal surgeon. He felt that it wasn't actually an ovarian cyst, but adhesions which had filled with fluid, and sent me for an MRI to find the exact size and location. I received a letter from him telling me that the MRI showed both of my fallopian tubes are swollen.

Yesterday, I visited the gynaecologist again, who confirmed that my tubes are both swollen, and now blocked, to an irreparable state. He confirmed that the case wasn't monitored as it should have been. Equally, it was never shared with me, and if I knew my fertility were at risk, my partner and I would have begun trying for a baby. I have now been left unable to conceive naturally, and will possibly require further surgery, and definitely need IVF. However, my PCT will only fund one cycle of IVF, and not until I'm 30.

My partner and I want to appeal this, because we feel that had it not have been ignored, something could have been done earlier, and because we don't want to wait another 4 years. Would an appeal be beneficial? How would we go about doing it?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Happylander Tue 06-Nov-12 21:53:12

First thing contact and they will give you advice and info plus put you into contact with a solicitor best suited to your case. I went through them and my compensation case is going well.

It is a long hard slog but good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: