Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Does glass in a rented house need to be safety glass?

(6 Posts)
DinosaursOnASpaceship Mon 05-Nov-12 10:42:03

We have a porch door, and then an inner door with a huge glass panel the entire length and width of the door frame and right next to it is another glass panel, rubbing the length of the floor to the ceiling, and a couple of foot wide. They are directly opposite the stairs. We also have a living room door with 15 glass panels in it.

When we moved in (11 months ago) I asked the landlady if the glass was safety glass - I was thinking if one of the children slipped on the stairs they could land against the glass and get badly hurt) she assured me it was. I also asked about the living room door as I had a baby and again she told me it was safety glass.

Roll on to now and I've found out its not safety glass at all.

The big panel in the front door is broken - my fault entirely. Long story short, ds3 (toddler) got locked in the house and the only way to get in was to remove the glass panel. Which I tried to do but the glass shattered and exploded inwards, I fell through the door, broke my fingers, but luckily was wearing a big coat which is now ruined but saved me from most of the glass (luckily as I was 27 weeks pregnant). Glass went everywhere, all over the stairs and hall.

Exp took a sample of the glass to try and get a match so we could replace the panel but was told the glass is 15-20 years old and they couldn't legally replace it as it wasn't reinforced or safety glass. I have had to pay £££ for the proper stuff.

I know I can't complain about the £££ as I broke the glass but I'm worried about the other panels and doors as I think they are dangerous.

Can I insist on them being changed? Or was the seller of the glass just making it up to be able to charge us more?

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 05-Nov-12 10:45:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NellyJob Mon 05-Nov-12 10:48:57

it's true it should be safety glass I had to replace a glass front door panel a few years ago - the price was prohibitive - the chap who fitted me in a normal piece said not to tell anyone as it was technically illegal.
In a rented house it's up to the landlord.
Good luck with that....

DinosaursOnASpaceship Mon 05-Nov-12 11:05:43

There are no markings at all on the glass, I've looked at the floor to ceiling length panel and the individual panels and nothing apart from sticky finger prints.

Landlady seems nice enough, if a bit flaky. We are due a gas inspection and the housing have written to us twice now warning me that I am breaking the terms of my bond if it's not done and asking me to let them know if I've heard from the landlady - I haven't. Also was due a housing inspection in July and other than a text in October asking when the best time to come round was (which I replied to) she hadn't come over or replied.

But, when I had to call her because the bath had collapsed through the floor she sent her brother out straight away to bodge fix it and also when I was locked out and stuck at a friends house late at night she drove round with keys for me. So means well but gets distracted I think.

PolterGoose Mon 05-Nov-12 21:31:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

olgaga Tue 06-Nov-12 11:09:48

PolterGoose is right. It only needs to have met the standards at the time it is installed. Before 1992 the only requirement was for door glazing to be slightly thicker than window glazing.

Since 1992 it had to be safety glass in "critical areas" ie 2'7" height and below - so all new installations or glass replaced since 1992 should have been replaced with safety glass. So it all depends when it was installed or last replaced, and your problem will be finding that out! Your landlady may not even know.

I only know this because it came up in a survey wrangle on a house purchase a few years ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now