Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Does anyone here deal with charity law?

(6 Posts)
BIWI Sun 04-Nov-12 16:29:00

If so, would you be prepared to give me some basic advice about whether to/how to register a charity?

TIA/

lljkk Sun 04-Nov-12 17:19:26

Look on Charity Commission website?

Himalaya Sun 04-Nov-12 17:32:54

Have a look here www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Start_up_a_charity/default.aspx

First make sure you definitely need to register (revenues more than 5k etc...)

Most charities are companies limited by guarantee which are then registered with the CC. Some are trusts. Some are unincorporated associations. Getting a charity number is a different question from what legal form your initiative should take.

www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Charity_requirements_guidance/Charity_governance/Good_governance/incqanda.aspx#b1

Himalaya Sun 04-Nov-12 17:33:37

What is it you are thinking about registering?

BIWI Sun 04-Nov-12 17:34:57

Thank you, both. I have been on that site, and on the HMRC site, and have reached a point where I'm a bit confused and hmm!

I don't really want to broadcast here specifically what it's about, but I need a bit of help going forward. Are either of you specifically qualified/expert, and would you be prepared to talk off board/via PM?

Himalaya Sun 04-Nov-12 18:34:37

Have PM'ed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now