Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

My new TV broke. Comet has it in for repair and they are going out of business

(15 Posts)
comethasmybrokentelly Thu 01-Nov-12 20:25:05

Where do I stand?
Saved a long time for a decent TV ( 600 pounds shock. Bought just over a year ago from Comet and paid extra for a 5 yr guarantee.
Broke last month, Comet said they would repair , took it in kept delaying the date to collect...and now they are going out of business.

can anybody help? I am going to the local store tomorrow (where I took my telly) but could use some advice. They might even be closed

nameuschangeus Thu 01-Nov-12 20:26:42

My understanding of it is that they will continue to trade for a while. They have said they will honour orders and gift cards etc so I'm sure you'll be ok.

SavoyCabbage Thu 01-Nov-12 20:29:20

I think you will be ok too. There is a hotline number for people to ring, so i read in the paper.

LIZS Thu 01-Nov-12 20:29:46

I suspect they will try to keep trading to sell the company and stores as a going concern. Do you have a receipt ? If they do go under you'll be at the back of a long queue of creditors so you may want to get it back asap.

NannyOgg1 Thu 01-Nov-12 22:27:21

The TV is still yours so you should be able to get it back without any difficulty. The Administrator can't keep or sell your property so long as you have paid any repair bill. They can excise a lien (keep the tv) if you still owe for the repair. I'm hoping if it's under the guarantee you don't have anything to pay anyway.

The administrators have said the that they are going to keep trading so like nameuschangeus says you should be ok for at least a few weeks though I would get the TV back sooner rather then later.

You will need to see what happens to the business, if it's sold as a going concern the new company which buys it may decide to honour the 5 year guarantee if something else goes wrong otherwise it may lapse.

comethasmybrokentelly Thu 01-Nov-12 22:45:11

Thanks very much everyone . You do feel like a hopeless pawn in these situations . I thought I was protecting my investment by takin out the 5 y guarantee . I never normally do but the tv was the most expensive household item I have ever bought. My husband persuaded me it was worth paying a lot for a decent one sad

NannyOgg1 Fri 02-Nov-12 09:03:35

Wouldn't blame yourself. To have this size of retailer go into administration is very unusual.

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 02-Nov-12 09:05:47

Is it an extended warranty bought from the store?

If so then it is from a separate company, not Comet so they will still repair the TV under the terms of your warranty.

comethasmybrokentelly Fri 02-Nov-12 09:52:56

Yes It is an extended warranty bought from the store. The problem is comet physically HAVE the telly right now. Have done for a few weeks. Goodness knows where it is is of if they will return it ( fixed or unfixed)
My husband has gone to the local store where he handed it in , to find out.

whatsleep Fri 02-Nov-12 12:54:20

We had a tv taken away by comet a few months back, they are taken to one of two warehouses, ours went to scelmasdale the phone number is 01695 737 402 which is much easier to get through to than sit in a que on the phone! Just a word of warning, make sure you unpack your tv and check it thoroughly before you accept it back, ours was badly damaged so we ended up getting a refund. Good luck, we found comets after sale service to be attrocious.

comethasmybrokentelly Sat 03-Nov-12 00:17:01

Result!!!
My husband went to local comet first thing.
Told shop closed. Workers coming in all morning, he asked each one about tv , all said sorry cant help
So he stood outside all morning telling all the customers who turned up that they had his telly. At lunchtime manager appeared...with the fixed telly. Or possibly a new one.
Whatever, it works fine,

comethasmybrokentelly Sat 03-Nov-12 00:18:00

Whatsleep, interestingly, it has a bit chipped off the fascia. Don't think I will complain . Just glad to have working tv.

Thanks all for input

whatsleep Mon 05-Nov-12 16:33:36

Ha ha love your style!

Tanya2011 Tue 06-Nov-12 23:18:03

Dear comethasmybrokentelly,

It may be sensible to read the small print as the warranty may be with another firm.

If not, you could also take the warranty to the store and ask for your money instead, or ask for an alternative warranty to be provided with a warranty firm, that is a firm that's a sort of insurance company that offers warranties on almost anything.

comethasmybrokentelly Tue 06-Nov-12 23:42:29

Thanks Tanya . The problem was our local store physically had the telly! All sorted now - see above

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now