Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Collaborate, Mumblechum at el...please may I ask your opinion / advice?

(8 Posts)
HondaJizz Thu 01-Nov-12 07:16:17

Hello. Sorry to bother you. I am now in yr 3 of getting divorced. Both myself and exH have legal aid solicitors.

The process has been smooth albeit long...there have been no issues that have needed taking to court. My concern is that I am still financially tied to my exH, who now has another family, new baby etc. Apparently, he has signed his consent order and sent all particulars to his solicitor. My solicitor has been asked to chase these up as they have not yet been forward for me to sign. This chasing up of the consent order has been going on now for seven months alone. It took solicitor a year to write the consent order and issue it.

Is this usual? My solicitor never returns my calls...probably once in six months. I am a worrier by nature and just want to end all ties to exH as it is making me anxious that he may be able to ask me for more money in future. I am a full-time student and have paid him 50k for his 45% of the home. There are no further items / money to share right now...but I am anxious to get this all finished. I don't want to apply for Absolute until this is over.

Do have you have any words of wisdom as to how I can chivy this along? Will my solicitor be annoyed for me constantly chasing him? Is this a normal lengthy process and am I worrying over nothing?

Thank you.

HondaJizz Thu 01-Nov-12 09:24:51 al, that should say!!

babybarrister Thu 01-Nov-12 11:15:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumblechum1 Thu 01-Nov-12 11:24:37

Definitely far too long for a case as simple as you describe. I'd write to your solicitor today and say if they haven't got it sorted or at least very close to sorted within a week you're going over their head and filing a complaint with their boss.

I do hope that the lump sum you paid was in exchange for a signed transfer deed by your ex, or that the money is sitting safely in a client account. It shouldl not have been paid to him without the deed.

HondaJizz Thu 01-Nov-12 12:34:53

Yes, Mumblechum, it accompanied the sale of the house to me, so the FMH is now in my name only. I organised that. Thanks Babybarrister.

Tbh, I have written a letter of complaint previously...about 1.5 years ago stating that I felt my case was being ignored. I know my ExH's signed consent order and financial matters are sitting at his solicitors. I just feel so aggrieved and anxious.

Right, need to get assertive. I will do another letter whilst at Uni tomorrow. I wasn't sure if this was the norm and I was being a naggy customer. Thank you.

HondaJizz Thu 01-Nov-12 12:40:24

Instead of assertive letter, I have just left a weepy message with the firm's receptionist, the one that screens my calls.

Gah. This is eroding any shred of independence and confidence I have. Apparently he's in court today but I would bet a million pounds that he still won't return my calls. I need, need, need my financial freedom for my peace of mind.

babybarrister Fri 02-Nov-12 07:52:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumblechum1 Fri 02-Nov-12 08:56:43

God yes, weepy messages aren't going to get you anywhere I'm afraid sad, do what BabyBarrister advised.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: