Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

CRB check info from wise MNs please

(13 Posts)
southdevondelight Wed 31-Oct-12 13:57:18

I've just accepted a job requiring a CRB check. Only ever had a couple of speeding fines, so no problem. Hours later have suddenly remembered that 32 years ago I did a stupid shoplifting thing for a dare - got caught red-handed and taken to police station for fingerprinting etc. So do I still have a criminal record? Please reassure me that after all this time it's "expired". I'm really nothing like that stupid young person would would do anything for a bet!

peachypips Wed 31-Oct-12 14:00:31

We complete these for work and I think if it did come up it would be disregarded unless it is potentially dangerous to young people.

peachypips Wed 31-Oct-12 14:01:39

Also if you weren't charged it doesn't count...

southdevondelight Wed 31-Oct-12 14:10:59

The job doesn't involve direct contact with young people - just the associated paperwork.

But I think I must have been charged surely? Remember paying a fine, but not having to go to court and feeling so relieved it wasn't in the local newspaper (parents never did know).

Should I say something now to pre-empt any revelations or just keep fingers crossed?

southdevondelight Wed 31-Oct-12 15:09:22

32 years ago ... seems harsh if job offer withdrawn (but accept it was very stupid thing to do - try and steal a pack of knickers sad

bluebird68 Wed 31-Oct-12 15:10:55

were you charged or cautioned? If so it will show up. An enhanced CRB shows everything up- even when it has expired. Don't worry about it, this happens all the time and shop lifting is probably the number one thing to be there on a file from so long ago. Its extremely unlikely your new employer will even ask about it.

bluebird68 Wed 31-Oct-12 15:13:19

you don't have a conviction for purposes of insurance and such like as it is spent but it is on record and always will be for purposes of CRB checking.

FlibberdeGibbet Wed 31-Oct-12 15:14:49

I would have thought you would be asked to declare convictions on your application form - it may be prudent to forewarn them, as if you haven't our new employer may feel that you have misled them, which might not go down too well. You could always play the "I forgot about that" if you are challenged on it, which should be perfectly acceptable for a reasonable employer.

BTW I thought the changes to CRBs that took place from Sept this year meant that if you are only involved in accessing records, they shouldn't need to check you? (confused...maybe someone can enlighten me?)

LIZS Wed 31-Oct-12 15:24:16

I suppose there is always the chnce that you might be alone with a vulnerbale person, even if, for example, while using the toilet. You do need to declare it but common sense can affect the implications.

southdevondelight Wed 31-Oct-12 15:50:20

LIZS - No chance whatsever of being alone with vulnerable person (or even meeting up with any) - simply office based and not a school etc. But point taken.

No idea about CRB legislation/changes Flibber. Will definitely be accessing records.

prh47bridge Wed 31-Oct-12 16:17:28

If you paid a fine it sounds like you were convicted so it will show up on your CRB check. Best tell them now - failure to tell them about something that shows up is a concern. However, the conviction itself should not stop you getting this job.

Without knowing more about the job it is impossible to say whether or not the employer is permitted to request a CRB check.

bluebird68 Wed 31-Oct-12 16:26:50

your job offer won't be withdrawn as this offense has absolutely no relevance to working with vulnerable people (as for whether you should have had to do an enhanced CRB in the first place i don't think you should have but that's another matter). however probably best to tell them, if you've already declared on offenses on your form then just mention it will probably come up. From experience of people I know that this has happened to- it has never caused them a problem (i have several friends who work in education who did silly things in their late teens/ early 20s). One has caution for drugs, one for shop lifting, another for ABH. All so long ago its no longer relevant and in the case of drugs and fighting can even be spun to positive effect.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 31-Oct-12 16:31:32

I know at least two teachers who have a 'record'. One for something she did while campaigning at Greenham Common and one for a petty shoplifting offence when she was in her late teens. Neither has ever been declined a teaching post because of these offences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now