Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Advice on letter

(4 Posts)
OrangeFlower7 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:24:05

Hi- please could I have some advice on this please. I instructed a solicitor who asked for notes from my hospital for a med. negligence claim. I have since changed my mind and agreed with the solicitor to drop the case. i asked her advice about informing the hospital as she had filled in a pre claim protocol and she said just to leave it.

However I'd like to inform them I won't be going ahead. If I was to write a letter to their complaints team informing them of this would that then be appropriate or would it have to coe from the solicitor? Any advice welcome.

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 30-Oct-12 10:03:59

If your solicitor is no longer instructed by you then it's fine for you to write a letter, but you should make clear that you are no longer represented. You don't need to write to them if a claim hasn't actually been started though. What is your reason for wanting to inform them? Depending on your situation you may need to be careful not to compromise your own position.

OrangeFlower7 Tue 30-Oct-12 14:18:57

Hi thanks mycatlikestwiglets. It's because my care is going downhill, last appointment i got a locum who was very dismissive to me. I thought maybe if I wrote and explained i wasn't going to take the claim further but I did want assurance that they had a commitment to my treatment that would resolve the issue for me. Maybe I should word it carefully, I don't intend to perhapd. Oh I'm not sure.

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 30-Oct-12 14:32:29

I would be very careful with what you say if you do write in that case. I don't anticipate though that you will get any commitment from them in writing if you make clear you are not proceeding with a claim. Perhaps the way forward might be to have another discussion with your solicitor about what you hope to achieve so that they can help with it, although I appreciate you may not want to incur further fees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now