Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Anyone with Experience of Subsidence Claims?

(4 Posts)
TheWoollybacksWife Thu 25-Oct-12 13:09:27

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with subsidence claims?

The house is still covered by the NHBC guarantee and the NHBC have agreed to carry out repairs but we would like to find out if there is anything else that we can do.

Can anyone recommend a solicitor with experience of handling subsidence claims?

ClareMarriott Thu 25-Oct-12 16:36:08

Rather than a solicitor, notify your building insurers who will instruct what is known as a loss adjuster. They act on behalf of the insurer but will make an appointment with you first of all and then deal with all aspects of your claim with the NHBC people.

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 25-Oct-12 18:00:12

Thank you for that. I hadn't thought about going through my insurers.

The situation has become more complicated since the subsidence was first discovered. DH has a new job and we are looking to relocate so really want to sell up. We haven't had the house valued but are assuming that the valuation would take a huge hit due to the subsidence. This would still be a problem after the underpinning.

I just don't know how to proceed and I'm alternating between being so sad that this has happened to my home and angry that the builders seem to have washed their hands of the problem as the NHBC have agreed to underpin.

ClareMarriott Fri 26-Oct-12 13:50:37

If you are looking to sell, discuss this with the loss adjuster ( and depending on the wording of your buildings insurance policy) the buyer may have cover under the buildings section until the sale is completed or the insurance comes up for renewal ( but again check your wording )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now