Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

repossession.

(3 Posts)
chubbymomie2012 Wed 24-Oct-12 16:59:29

hello
im in a terrible situation because i stuck my head in the sand. i left my ex husband 3 yrs ago. he stayed in the house and inassumed was paying his half of the mortgage. i was giving him my half as cash. we had the house up for sale but couldnt sell it. he told me the only option was a voluntary repossessin so i went along with it.
Recently I obtained my credit report in an attemot to find out why I was refused a mobile phone contract and it showed a default with the mortgage company for 28000. on phoning them it seems my ex deserted the property and when it was sold there is a debt of 28000 owing.
im panicing cos i cant sfford this. at the time he showed me the paperwork ormwhat i thought was the paperwork. i dont know what it was i didnt read it well.
im aware ignorance is no defence. is there anything i can do? if i ring mortgage company can they give me a statement or completion paperwork?
all advice welcome.

AgentProvocateur Wed 24-Oct-12 17:04:17

I'm not an expert at all, but I think if was a joint mortgage, they can go after either of you for the full amount outstanding. How much can you afford to pay? I don't know if they'd negotiate a payment plan with you. I think the worst thing you could do would be ignore it - it won't go away.

Boomboomboomboom Wed 24-Oct-12 20:43:54

I don't think there is much you can do to be honest. A joint mortgage makes you jointly and severally liable for the debt - that means they can chase your ex, or you, or both of you and that debt will remain until paid off, and the fact of default probably even longer.

You may want to seek some advice from CAB about persuing your ex for failing to pass over your mortgage payments to the bank - that is effectively theft as it wasn't his money to take, but I expect he has no money...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now