Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

vTech Innotab - screen 'not covered' by warranty?

(3 Posts)
Harimad Mon 22-Oct-12 20:01:09

Hiya,

Not a big issue compared to others here, but wasn't sure where else to post this!

I bought my son an innotab less than a year ago and this week it suddenly showed black lines across the screen. I contacted vtech direct and they say that it is due to damage to the screen causing the liquid crystal to leak.

They then tell me that screen damage is not covered by the warranty, but 'as a gesture of goodwill' they will replace it for me for 25 quid.

Now that sounds pretty fair, but shouldn't something made for kids like the innotab (and my son has treated it pretty well) last for longer than a year? I can't figure if I should stick to my guns and say that it's not fit for purpose, or am I just being unreasonable?

Anyone know consumer law and warranties who can advise?

Many thanks,
Hari

prh47bridge Mon 22-Oct-12 20:17:59

Your legal rights are against the retailer, not the manufacturer. The big problem you face with taking action against the retailer is that the Innotab is more than 6 months old. That means it would be up to you to prove that the problem was inherent in the product when you bought it and is not due to normal wear and tear or accidental damage.

Harimad Mon 22-Oct-12 20:34:27

Hmm.. okay - sounds as tho I should be genuinely grateful for their goodwill then! Thanks for the advice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now