Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How do I find out if someone who has died had a bank account?

(29 Posts)
AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 18:35:52

They died in 2007.

Haven't got a copy of original death cert, but have the original coroner's report.

I'm also the next of kin.

Thanks smile

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 19:06:45

bump

needy

NulliusInBlurba Mon 22-Oct-12 19:23:50

Do you have any idea of which bank/building society might possibly be involved? Because AFAIK the only way is by going into the bank concerned (doesn't have to be the same branch) with the relevant paperwork. I don't think there is any sort of 'central register' of everyone in the UK who has a bank account, whereby you just give a name and get the details (a sort of banking directory enquiries). You might just need to go into every bank in town and ask round (disclaimer: I don't know this for sure).

My mum died recently, and I was the sole next of kin and sole executor. Fortunately I knew which two banks/building societies were involved, and even had the deposit books/account numbers etc. However, as long as I could prove that I was entitled to inherit, the banks would have located the account for me even without the account details (just from the name and address). But they insisted on a certified death certificate and wouldn't have done anything without it. It also made things a lot easier that I had a valid will and was named as executor/sole beneficiary. I have no idea if they would accept a coroner's report - I suspect not because it will not name your relationship to the deceased, will it?

Each bank has slightly different conditions for how many hoops you have to jump through, and it also depends on how much is kept in the bank accounts, ie how much the estate is worth. Once it gets over a certain level (over 15,000 quid in one bank?) you have to get probate.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 19:27:22

Thank you for answering and sorry to hear about your mum sad

Have no idea if he even had a bank account but assuming he had let alone who he had it with.

There is no will , that I know of either.

NulliusInBlurba Mon 22-Oct-12 19:39:43

Unfortunately, without a certified death certificate I don't think they're even allowed to tell you if the deceased had a bank account with them sad.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 19:51:12

Thats what I thought sad

Thank you for your help smile

HillyandHally Mon 22-Oct-12 19:56:24

Definately need the original death certificate although probate should be ok if you have that?

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 19:58:23

Thought I couldn't get a probate as there isn't a will

PixieHot Mon 22-Oct-12 19:59:01

Hmm, there must be a way though - Experian etc can do credit checks on (alive) people which shows all of their accounts etc.

When you say next of kin, are you also the executor of the estate? What about paperwork at the time of death?

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 19:59:15

I'm pretty sure who has got the original death cert but she is denying it.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 20:02:59

Think I'm going to have to give you the full story.

It was my father that died. His sister sorted out the funeral, as we wasn't in contact I didn't know that he had died.

First I knew about his death was by his last employer about his pension. They only contacted me as his sister tried to claim it but couldn't as she wasn't next of kin.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 20:07:23

Sorry posted too soon.

I know the date he died, in the area in the city he died.

The reason I believe his sister has the death cert is that is had some other paperwork that she has since sent to me.

lubeybooby Mon 22-Oct-12 20:13:47

There is a service that searches for dormant bank accounts if you have the name and address. Just select all of the possible banks and building societies and they will all be searched.

If an account is found the relevant bank will write to you with details on claiming the account - in my case it was proving it was mine when I used it but if you know an account exists then at least you can then take the paperwork in and see what you can sort out.

lubeybooby Mon 22-Oct-12 20:14:35

www.mylostaccount.org.uk/

NatashaBee Mon 22-Oct-12 20:14:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 20:39:12

Can't access dormant's bank accounts as I don't know his full address, just the area.

Looking at that probate site, it looks like I'll need a 'Letters of administration'. I did speak to someone at a helpline from direct.gov about his pension. They were the ones that wanted to know about bank accounts, even wanted to know what was in his pockets shock

AnnoyingOrange Mon 22-Oct-12 20:45:54

You can get a certified copy of the death certificate from the local register office or the General Register office

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 20:49:23

Ah thank you, so I won't need the original, just a copy?

AnnoyingOrange Mon 22-Oct-12 20:49:32

More advice here

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/overview

AnnoyingOrange Mon 22-Oct-12 20:52:08

When someone dies the executor usually needs about half a dozen copies of the death certificate

Certified copies issued by the register office or GRO are proper copies made on official paper, not photocopies and are all as valid as the original one issued

PixieHot Mon 22-Oct-12 20:52:20

Oh, this all sounds a bit fishy sad. Wouldn't the intestate whatsit mean that any estate should go to offspring rather than to a sibling? In which case, the aunt may have acted illegally.

What about CAB? Or some solicitors offer 3min free advice I think.

Good luck in pursuing this OP.

PixieHot Mon 22-Oct-12 20:53:25

30mins I meant blushgrin.

AnyaKnowIt Mon 22-Oct-12 20:53:35

Orange, it was them that I called. There helpline isn't very helpful

AnnoyingOrange Mon 22-Oct-12 20:59:59

Once you have the death certificate you will have an address on it I think.

This show site seems to have some useful information about tracing accounts

www.ehow.co.uk/how_6725525_bank-accounts-deceased-relatives.html

AnnoyingOrange Mon 22-Oct-12 21:00:34

Ehow not show

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now