Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Faulty car part and no refund, where do I stand?

(4 Posts)
Sparklyblue Fri 19-Oct-12 17:31:12

Hi,
my husband bought a master cylinder for our car about 3 weeks ago, it started leaking so he has taken it back.
They would not give him a refund though, they opened an account for him instead with the value of the goods.
I have just phoned them and they have explained that they will be sending the part out on Monday morning for testing, if it is found to be faulty they will get a credit, so we could get a refund. He also said it depends why it's leaking???
He didn't say what would happen if they don't get a credit.
Is this the normal thing to happen, please help confused

prh47bridge Fri 19-Oct-12 18:41:23

If the cylinder is faulty you have the right to reject the it and demand a full refund provided you do so within a reasonable time. They cannot simply give credit against future purchases. Whether or not the dealer can get their money back from the manufacturer of the part is irrelevant. You should write to them, state that you have rejected the part as it is not of satisfactory quality and requesting a full refund as required by the Sale of Goods Act 1979. If they refuse you should write again telling them you will take action in the small claims court unless they return your money.

The dealer may argue that 3 weeks is not a reasonable time. Unfortunately the law doesn't define what is a reasonable time. However, even if you have lost your right to reject the cylinder, you still have the right to either a reduced price or a refund less an amount for the usage you have had.

xkcdfangirl Fri 19-Oct-12 18:51:38

If you paid with a credit card then your credit card provider is jointly liable. If you tell them what happened they can give you a refund and take the money from the garage on your behalf.

RedHelenB Sat 20-Oct-12 08:14:39

I had this with a pair of shoes & it came back that the manufacturer was at fault & I got my refund.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now