Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Should I report taxi driver who knocked me off my bike?

(10 Posts)
jchocchip Thu 18-Oct-12 18:22:14

I was bumped at slow speed off my bike yesterday morning at 7.05 am when it was still dark. I was wearing a bright yellow helmet, a navy waterproof with small reflective strips, have tyres with reflective stripes and had working lights front and rear and was wearing shorts so my legs should have been easily visible.

Taxi driver was very apologetic and said he didn't see me and at the time I didn't think I had been injured other than little finger so didn't call the police and carried on to work where I realised I was quite badly scratched and a bit shocked. Today I am scratched and bruised and achy and am thinking of billing him for the hole I have noticed in waterproof and also broken back light.

What should I do? I have his number and phone number and know which firm he works for.

Collaborate Thu 18-Oct-12 18:51:46

Yes. Report. You are required to report it to the police as soon as you are aware that someone has been injured.

fiftyval Thu 18-Oct-12 20:01:11

Report him - if he didn't see you then he shouldn't be driving.

Poosnu Thu 18-Oct-12 20:14:07

I would report him - absolutely. It will make him more careful in future to avoid cyclists. Alternatively you could contact him to get payment for the waterproof jacket and lights - I wouldn't let that one go as decent ones are fairly pricey.

Viperidae Thu 18-Oct-12 20:23:51

I think if he was apologetic and pleasant you should speak to him first.

My DF was very upset some years back when, after a very small bump in the car (his fault and he apologised profusely), the other driver assured him she was fine, even ringing that night to thank him for his consideration and reassure him she was still fine. After a visit fromm her daughter, she lodged an insurance claim for whiplash, hurt knee and more. DF was very upset that he felt she had not been honest with him.

jchocchip Thu 18-Oct-12 23:25:30

Thanks for the replies. Yes he was apologetic and pleasant and obviously upset that he hadn't seen me. I am in two minds about involving the police, part of me thinks that it was a very easy mistake to make and it was that funny time of year where it has only just started to get dark when I am going to work and he wasn't speeding and did stop at the junction before pulling out into the side of me... I also don't really want to make a claim through insurance which just puts up everyone's premiums, but that back light was expensive (about £30 - attached to rear carrier) and I am now paying for the bike shop to do a full safety check as the bike isn't quite folding property (its a Brompton, so not a cheap item) The scrapes and bruises will mend quite quickly so I am happy to put them down to experience I think... but I think I should ask him to pay something towards the light and jacket and any repair required to the bike because after all he did knock me off and could have killed me

bluebird68 Fri 19-Oct-12 12:39:18

i'd speak to him first. say you later noticed the damage and wanted to give him the option of paying you directly without involving insurance company. I doubt you'll have a problem getting him to pay up.

MOSagain Fri 19-Oct-12 15:56:57

As collaborate says, you are legally required to report the accident to the Police as you have been injured.

MatureUniStudent Fri 19-Oct-12 20:08:49

Why is she legally required to report her injuries??

VivaLeBeaver Fri 19-Oct-12 20:11:39

He wasn't required to report the accident as OP herself said at the time she didn't think she was injured. So he'd have thought the same surely?

Personally I'd ring and discuss it with him, hole in your jacket, etc. if he offers to pay for what you're out of pocket I'd be happy with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now