Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

inspection by letting agency

(11 Posts)
EnglishEponine Thu 18-Oct-12 09:59:15

Hi

Have just had a letter through the post this morning saying that the letting agency are coming to do an inspection tomorrow (19th Oct 2012).

Letter says 'Do you need to be present? Not necessary', so presumably they think they can let themselves into my home if I don't answer the door?

I know they have the legal right to inspect the property under certain conditions but my problem is that an inpection tomorrow is not convenient at all - I am currently very ill (in bed, pyjamas, vomiting etc, it's a glamorous sight) and in no fit state to have my friends round, let alone a complete stranger, and due to said bout of illness the house is a tip (washing up and hoovering neglected etc). Letter states 'Please ensure that any bathroom and kitchen areas are to a similar condition as entry with no dirty dishes or pans on display. Toilets, sinks, baths and showers should be scrubbed down.' The stuff I generally do, I'm not a slattern, but I can barely get out of bed, let alone give the whole house a massive clean-up. And I don't want people in my house when I'm feeling this crappy! I want to be left alone dammit!

Where do I stand on this from a legal point of view? Can I stop them coming? Can I not let them in if they show up?

Help!

Thanks

lobsters Thu 18-Oct-12 10:06:56

Have you tried ringing them and appealing to their human side? i would say you have a stomach bug, you are not sure if it is contagious, you really don't want them to risk getting it etc and can you postpone for a few days. Hopefully they won't want to catch it and will agree

Madlizzy Thu 18-Oct-12 10:11:01

You phone them, tell them it's inconvenient and rearrange. They're human too. :P

EnglishEponine Thu 18-Oct-12 10:13:56

And they'll let me rearrange? They won't kick up a fuss or make legal threats? They're bigger than me I'm scared!

First time in a rental property, can you tell? :D

Wandawingsthe2nd Thu 18-Oct-12 10:23:31

They have absolutely no right to tell you to wash up and clean before and inspection. You can live your life how you want as long as you are causing no structural damage to the property. You are entitled to ask for another more suitable time also. grin

Wandawingsthe2nd Thu 18-Oct-12 10:23:43

*an

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Thu 18-Oct-12 10:25:14

Definitely rearrange. It's your right. Our letting agents only ever come at a mutually agreed time. Wouldn't have it any other way.

MousyMouse Thu 18-Oct-12 12:59:38

just call them and make another appointment. follow up with an email so you have it in writing.

they cannot enter without your expressed permission unless it is an emergency (as in real emergengy, blue lights).

and no, you don't need to clean up before wink

mycatlikestwiglets Thu 18-Oct-12 13:34:40

Agree with the above posters - you have every right to tell them it isn't convenient and to ask them to rearrange for another time. They can't access the property if you object. Sure they won't be bothered in any case if you make clear you are at home with a vomiting bug. Get well soon btw!

Labootin Thu 18-Oct-12 13:40:50

I'm a landlord and although I use a letting agency for checks I think it's very odd to give just a days notice (plus the VERY odd expectation you'd clean)

Tbh as long as the place is left as was when you vacate the tenancy I'd be happy with vaguely hygienic on inspection.

Phone them and tell them to come next week.

And hope you feel better soon

Collaborate Thu 18-Oct-12 13:57:32

Put a key in the insode of the lock to prevent them letting themselves in anyway. And follow the advice from MouseyMouse and put it in an email. Today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now