Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

DIY DIVORCE

(10 Posts)
Gillyt75 Wed 17-Oct-12 12:53:08

hi, I wonder do any of u have any experience of a DIY divorce. my ex and I are both agreeable on the terms etc so it should be straightforward. i wondered also does anyone know how long it would take from start to finish.

Collaborate Wed 17-Oct-12 13:26:03

You can't DIY the finances as you'll need someone who knows what they're doing to draw up the court order for you. If you have patience and a willingness to learn you could do the divorce for yourself, but there are pitfalls.

Some firms offer a fixed fee service for divorce. Mine will be doing so soon and I assume other firms will join us. Some already offer a fixed fee service.

The quickest divorce I've done has taken 3 months. That's unusual though.

Gillyt75 Wed 17-Oct-12 13:41:26

smileThanks for your reply. i thought the forms we receive from the court were all we needed to submit. i know i as the personal petitioner need to see the Matrimonial officer but assumed that was just sonshe could check over the M1 form.

Collaborate Wed 17-Oct-12 14:43:44

Matrimonial officer? What country do you live in?

Gillyt75 Wed 17-Oct-12 15:29:09

i live in northern ireland.

MOSagain Wed 17-Oct-12 15:30:39

Agree with Collaborate. Assuming you are in England (as you refer to form M1 which has to be lodged with the Consent Order for approval) you would need assistance in drafting the Consent Order. With all due respect, no layperson could draft it to satisfy a DJ. The staff at the Court can advise on what forms you need but cannot give legal advice.

Collaborate Wed 17-Oct-12 15:37:10

Different procedure to England & Wales I'm afraid. I still think you'll need advice from a solicitor over any financial order though.

Gillyt75 Wed 17-Oct-12 15:47:24

ok thanks for your advice smile

lucylawless11 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:26:02

I stavrted a diy divorce in sep 2011, divorce refused twice !!!!!!!!
Haven now got a solicitor so hopefully will be divorced soon, my advice is dont diy unless your absolutely clued up about legal stuff.

ToothbrushThief Wed 17-Oct-12 22:45:28

I was divorced in 16 weeks with a diy divorce. I did get a sol to help draw up financial bit - no advice on content but legal expertise in wording the order. Found it quite stressful and learnt lots! Don't regret it at all though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now