Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Bit of a hypothetical question (Scottish family law)

(1 Post)
OptimisticPessimist Tue 16-Oct-12 19:44:59

I have 3 children with my XP who now lives in England and hasn't seen them for 18 months. All 3 were born in Scotland, he's on all 3 birth certificates and has PRRs for the younger two.

At some point I plan to take them abroad on holiday, possibly to America. As I understand it, I will require written permission from him to do this? What form should this take - does it need to be made official somehow? Do I need his permission to get passports?

If he doesn't give permission, can I take it to court? I have seen mentioned here in English law about a Specific Issue order, does the same thing exist in Scotland and how easy is it to get one? The last time I had a solicitor I was entitled to legal aid but obviously that could change - how easy is it to make the court application without a solicitor should I need to?

Really I need to get an idea of the time frames involved, we probably won't be going for quite a few years but I want to leave plenty of time to arrange the legal side of it. Tbh I'd prefer to get a sole residency order but afaik that's a highly unlikely outcome.

Thanks for any advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: