Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Car insurance question.

(31 Posts)
MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:10:02

Recently involved in a very minor collision, my fault, no visible damage to my car, tiny scratch on their's. Other driver was very nice and said they would get a quote so we wouldn't have to go through insurance if I didn't want to. However quote is £200+, and whilst we could just about afford it, I do have no claims protection on my policy. My dad says that I would only have to pay excess if I made a claim for damage to MY car, and it does not apply to repairs to a third party's car. Is he right? I have read through my policy and it says very little and I can't tell one way or the other. Of course if I ring them, I will have to tell them about the accident, and I will rule out the possibility of just paying the other driver directly I presume, and the fact I have been involved in an "accident" I assume will put my premiums up regardless of whether I do make a claim or not?

My excess is £300, so if I have to pay excess for a third party repair I might as well just pay him myself....

Any advice would be appreciated. smile

Ginda Fri 19-Oct-12 21:52:04

I know a bit about insurance (lawyer). You should be aware that, even if you do not claim on your policy, your answer to the question "have you had any accidents in the last 5 years" next time you renew should still be "yes". If you say no untruthfully, your insurance policy may be invalidated.

How will they know? Hard to say whether they would or not, but insurance companies all share info and if you make a "just curious" enquiry, it will still be logged.

Leaving that aside though, from a non-legal viewpoint if it is only £200 to pay I would pay it. You will end up paying far more than that on next year's premium. I claimed £600 on my home insurance policy last year and my premium this year (no other variables changed, same insurer) rose by £800.sad

rmoha Fri 19-Oct-12 20:17:31

hi i need advice i had a road accident and it was my mistake i bumped to the front car but the car had a minor scratch and the one i bumped to bumped to the front one i know its shocking i am in a state of shock i wonder how much my insurance is gonna be and this lady sons just came out of the car playing and she spoke in her language he started crying pretending he got hurt only to claim money as most of the people do as there are many fraud going on as usual the police and paramedic asked if we got hurt me and the kids we said we are all ok i need advice please

1sassylassy Sat 13-Oct-12 22:10:21

Glad your sorted,thats why you pay insurance and good that you dont have to pay out the hard cash.

MummysHappyPills Sat 13-Oct-12 12:20:00

Thank you all for your help everyone. I contacted my insurance co. and excess only applies to repairs to my own car. So on balance given that I have protected no claims, I am going to go through the insurance company. I feel a bit bad for him that it will probably cause delays for him, but that's life I suppose, I have had it happen to me before and had to go through insurance company etc. so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Thanks for all your input! grin

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:35:54

Orchidee I would have happily informed my insurance company immediately but the other driver seemed to want to avoid it. Now the quote is a lot more than I expected I probably will tell them now anyway. The only reason i didn't is because i was once hit by someone when i had 3rd party only insurance and i called my insurance company and they said they weren't really interested and that I should just contact the party at fault's insurance company direct to make a claim against them. So I kind of assumed this guy would do the same if he chose to.
Thanks for your advice everyone.

orchidee Fri 12-Oct-12 23:27:00

You won't pay an excess for the other driver's repair, only for your own part of a claim, e.g. repairs to your own car.

You must inform your insurer of the collision. Your policy will specify this. Do this as a "notification", meaning you aren't making a claim at the moment. The notification may not affect your future premium depending on your policy. Otherwise you risk losing your insurance, e.g. if the other driver notifies their insurer, yours will find out too. If £200 is hard to find, the high cost of insurance after them recording you as fraudulent will be prohibitive.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:23:04

Yeah see what you're saying. Does seem a bit foolish to "waste" a claim for the sake of a couple of hundred quid. But then again it would leave is very short, and it is kind of what we pay insurance for?! smile

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 23:20:51

It is pointless if you don't have another accident. But, there is always a chance that could happen. It's just something to be aware of, if in the future you had a 2nd accident which then meant you lost your protection.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:17:45

Haven't heard of buying back the claim?! Though if I have no claims protection, wouldn't that be pointless?!

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 23:14:22

Apologies for my shocking typos grin

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:13:18

Am not disputing my fault or liability, just wondering if excess applies to 3rd party claims at all in the first place...

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 23:04:15

MHP that's right, tp cover is for the protection of innocent road users do that they aren't left out if pocket through someone else's negligence.

tigerdriverII Fri 12-Oct-12 23:01:10

Was your fault so your excess

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 23:00:49

On the other hand, you could just get your insurer to deal with him, and then 'buy' back the claim when it's been paid. Saves you a load if hassle.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:00:31

Yes banana, I was thinking that if we didn't go through the insurance co, I would only agree to pay the body shop direct e.g. By guaranteed cheque or bacs payment directly to them.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:58:45

I guess that is so the 3rd party will always get everything they're entitled to with no quibbles etc, and will not be affected by the driver at fault's ability to pay?

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 22:58:41

You could offer him a sum of money on the basis that he's not likely to get such a minor bit of damage actually repaired. In insurance it's called cash in lieu of the repairs. If he doesn't accept then only stump up on receipt of an invoice once the repair has been carried out. I'd maybe offer £100 at the most or tell him to get the repair done and then send you the invoice when it's been completed. The final invoice should not be more than the estimate/quote, especially for such s minor repair. Under no circumstances should you authorise the repair yourself.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:57:09

I do have comp cover, but claim will only be for damage to his car as mine has none iyswim?! confused

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 22:53:28

Your excess only applies to your damage if you have comp cover so your dad is right. TP cover extends to everything involved in the to claim - hire, injury, damage etc. but you claim if you had damage would be subject to the x/s.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:49:08

I know sassy, I have no doubt the quote is genuine, e sent me a copy via e mail and the bumper has to be resprayed so it makes sense. I think the guy wouldn't bother getting it repaired usually (scratch really is minuscule) but he is trying to sell the car apparently, so fair enough that he wants it fixed properly.

Not disputing the quote at all, just changes my approach to it, as obviously a couple if hundred will put a big dent in our finances ATM...

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:45:00

Thanks jolly, that's really useful. smile

1sassylassy Fri 12-Oct-12 22:43:26

I know it might not be what you want to hear but £200 doesnt get you much when it comes to repairing scratches,ds is in the paint spraying trade so get a bit of inside info,it might be worth running it past your insurance company,stating it is for "information only"

JollyJackOLantern Fri 12-Oct-12 22:39:13

I crashed my car into someone else a couple of years ago. My insurance paid for their repairs. I lost my no claims. I did NOT have to pay the excess as I didn't get my car repaired.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:36:29

Thanks Sarah. See if that was me, I wouldn't lose my no claims as I am protected. Am very confused now! Also the wording of my policy document says that if I claim for repairs to MY car, I will have to pay excess but doesn't make it clear what happens if a third party makes a claim for repairs to their car.

I think maybe a call to the insurer to ask about their policy may be called for, without admitting I am already a customer!

SarahJessicaFarter Fri 12-Oct-12 22:27:47

I went into the back of someone last year. No damage to my car £1000 worth of damage and claims to the other party. It went via my insurance and I didn't pay any excess. I just lost 1 years no claims.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now