Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Car insurance question.

(31 Posts)
MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:10:02

Recently involved in a very minor collision, my fault, no visible damage to my car, tiny scratch on their's. Other driver was very nice and said they would get a quote so we wouldn't have to go through insurance if I didn't want to. However quote is £200+, and whilst we could just about afford it, I do have no claims protection on my policy. My dad says that I would only have to pay excess if I made a claim for damage to MY car, and it does not apply to repairs to a third party's car. Is he right? I have read through my policy and it says very little and I can't tell one way or the other. Of course if I ring them, I will have to tell them about the accident, and I will rule out the possibility of just paying the other driver directly I presume, and the fact I have been involved in an "accident" I assume will put my premiums up regardless of whether I do make a claim or not?

My excess is £300, so if I have to pay excess for a third party repair I might as well just pay him myself....

Any advice would be appreciated. smile

MrsMiniversCharlady Fri 12-Oct-12 22:12:49

No, he's wrong, you would have to pay the excess.

mamij Fri 12-Oct-12 22:15:41

I'm not an expert on car insurance policy, but am pretty sure it pays out on repairs to both cars. I had a tiny scrape with a stationary car a couple of months and insurance paid for both to be repaired.

However, bear in mind that even though you have no claims protection, your insurance premiums may still go up or the choice of car insurance companies may bs limited. They ask whether you've had an accident/claim in last 3 years, and some don't offer insurance if you've made a claim.

mamij Fri 12-Oct-12 22:16:58

Sorry, and you'll have to pay the excess regardless whether it's your car or theirs.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:23:20

Thanks. I realise premiums may go up, but I went on and got some quotes on the basis I had no claims but had had anaccident, and the quotes weren't really any more expensive.

I realise the insurance will pay out, but was just wondering if I would have to pay the excess.

Up until now I was just going to pay him, but the quote was £££ for what was essentially a 2mm scratch! So if my no claims was protected and I wouldn't have to pay the excess, I was considering claiming as it's what it's there for! grin

Dp says he may phone insurance company customer services "hypothetically" without giving policy no and see what they say! I personally can't be bothered with the hassle, and will probably just pay him and have done with it! smile

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:24:18

X posts manji, thank you. smile

SarahJessicaFarter Fri 12-Oct-12 22:27:47

I went into the back of someone last year. No damage to my car £1000 worth of damage and claims to the other party. It went via my insurance and I didn't pay any excess. I just lost 1 years no claims.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:36:29

Thanks Sarah. See if that was me, I wouldn't lose my no claims as I am protected. Am very confused now! Also the wording of my policy document says that if I claim for repairs to MY car, I will have to pay excess but doesn't make it clear what happens if a third party makes a claim for repairs to their car.

I think maybe a call to the insurer to ask about their policy may be called for, without admitting I am already a customer!

JollyJackOLantern Fri 12-Oct-12 22:39:13

I crashed my car into someone else a couple of years ago. My insurance paid for their repairs. I lost my no claims. I did NOT have to pay the excess as I didn't get my car repaired.

1sassylassy Fri 12-Oct-12 22:43:26

I know it might not be what you want to hear but £200 doesnt get you much when it comes to repairing scratches,ds is in the paint spraying trade so get a bit of inside info,it might be worth running it past your insurance company,stating it is for "information only"

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:45:00

Thanks jolly, that's really useful. smile

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:49:08

I know sassy, I have no doubt the quote is genuine, e sent me a copy via e mail and the bumper has to be resprayed so it makes sense. I think the guy wouldn't bother getting it repaired usually (scratch really is minuscule) but he is trying to sell the car apparently, so fair enough that he wants it fixed properly.

Not disputing the quote at all, just changes my approach to it, as obviously a couple if hundred will put a big dent in our finances ATM...

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 22:53:28

Your excess only applies to your damage if you have comp cover so your dad is right. TP cover extends to everything involved in the to claim - hire, injury, damage etc. but you claim if you had damage would be subject to the x/s.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:57:09

I do have comp cover, but claim will only be for damage to his car as mine has none iyswim?! confused

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 22:58:41

You could offer him a sum of money on the basis that he's not likely to get such a minor bit of damage actually repaired. In insurance it's called cash in lieu of the repairs. If he doesn't accept then only stump up on receipt of an invoice once the repair has been carried out. I'd maybe offer £100 at the most or tell him to get the repair done and then send you the invoice when it's been completed. The final invoice should not be more than the estimate/quote, especially for such s minor repair. Under no circumstances should you authorise the repair yourself.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:58:45

I guess that is so the 3rd party will always get everything they're entitled to with no quibbles etc, and will not be affected by the driver at fault's ability to pay?

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:00:31

Yes banana, I was thinking that if we didn't go through the insurance co, I would only agree to pay the body shop direct e.g. By guaranteed cheque or bacs payment directly to them.

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 23:00:49

On the other hand, you could just get your insurer to deal with him, and then 'buy' back the claim when it's been paid. Saves you a load if hassle.

tigerdriverII Fri 12-Oct-12 23:01:10

Was your fault so your excess

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 23:04:15

MHP that's right, tp cover is for the protection of innocent road users do that they aren't left out if pocket through someone else's negligence.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:13:18

Am not disputing my fault or liability, just wondering if excess applies to 3rd party claims at all in the first place...

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 23:14:22

Apologies for my shocking typos grin

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:17:45

Haven't heard of buying back the claim?! Though if I have no claims protection, wouldn't that be pointless?!

bananaistheanswer Fri 12-Oct-12 23:20:51

It is pointless if you don't have another accident. But, there is always a chance that could happen. It's just something to be aware of, if in the future you had a 2nd accident which then meant you lost your protection.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 23:23:04

Yeah see what you're saying. Does seem a bit foolish to "waste" a claim for the sake of a couple of hundred quid. But then again it would leave is very short, and it is kind of what we pay insurance for?! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: