Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

On Child Tax Credits

(6 Posts)
Denning Thu 11-Oct-12 16:11:14

and I have just received a council tax rebate as they have rebanded my house down a level.

Will this award (a few thousand) affect my child tax credits. This is the only benefit I get other than a carers allowance and one child had disability living allowance.

Could anyone advise me please?

Denning Thu 11-Oct-12 16:11:52

I apologise - I also have council tax benefit.

baabaapinksheep Thu 11-Oct-12 16:17:58

Doubt it as it is not 'income' but a refund on something you had previously paid for.

GreatBallsofFluff Thu 11-Oct-12 19:46:17

Whilst I agree it's not income, isn't there a limit as to how much you can have "in the bank"? I THINK it's around £6,000 but I'm really not sure.

Denning Thu 11-Oct-12 19:57:30

I think you are right. So I will have a few thousand and can get the Boiler repaired so we have heating for a change. Three pairs of new school shoes, a jumper for one and some school books and bits for the others. A food shop without having to think about what I purchase! It will be like winning the lotto for the poorsmile

And then I will be poor again...!

MrsMiniversCharlady Fri 12-Oct-12 22:15:41

No, savings (which this would be) do not affect your tax credits entitlement, only the interest on the savings. The £6K rule is for other benefits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now