Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Liable for a couple of months??

(3 Posts)
seefooddiet Fri 05-Oct-12 18:44:03

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with an issue my DDad is having?

He lives in Oxford and is selling his mum and dads home in Scotland after they have passed away

He is selling the house to my DGPs next door neighbour

The sale is due to complete on the 12/10/12, so next friday

He received a call today from the NDN (buyer) to say that the boiler has broken and that he is liable....fair enough, the property is still my DDads

The NDN has said that its best to get the boiler replaced rather than repaired as a new boiler offers a 2yr warrenty and even when the sale has completed my DDad will still be liable should anything go wrong in the property, for a couple of months at least

Is this correct??

Isabeller Fri 05-Oct-12 18:46:20

Think you need a Scottish lawyer as property law definitely different there from in Oxford

STIDW Fri 05-Oct-12 20:50:29

I believe you have been advised correctly. I'm not a solicitor but in Scotland things like central heating should be in good working order when a buyer takes over possession of a property. A seller can be called upon to make any defects occurring within a time specified in the paper work good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now