Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

income support

(16 Posts)
jozanna Fri 05-Oct-12 13:53:36

hi can anyone tell me if i would be entitled to any benefits once me and my husband have seperated, i foster two girls and have a 15 year old son thanks x

Collaborate Fri 05-Oct-12 14:07:00

Subject to income/capital considerations, and the ages of the children, yes.

LadySybildeChocolate Fri 05-Oct-12 14:10:36

I think it's job seekers allowance once your children reach a certain age, not income support. Have a look on

Septembergold Fri 05-Oct-12 14:12:58

Its job seekers if your children are over 7 and income surport if there under.

CrystalEclipse Fri 05-Oct-12 14:13:08

i think yo need this: government benefits calculator

you need to put in your circumstances as if you were separated, it takes a while but you will know exactly where you would be financially

Whitecherry Fri 05-Oct-12 18:39:51

It's not over 7 anymore

It's 5. Once they turn 5 it changes to jsa

jozanna Mon 08-Oct-12 15:00:49

thanks so much but as im a foster carer im sure i wont be able to get jsa as im self employed x

AmberLeaf Mon 08-Oct-12 15:02:20

As you are a foster carer you may be entitled to income support rather than JSA.

Check the calculator on

Collaborate Mon 08-Oct-12 16:46:03

If self employed you won't be entitled to working tax credits. You should be getting a fostering allowance from the LA, and getting child tax credits and child benefit. You won't get income support unless your income is below IS levels.

AmberLeaf Mon 08-Oct-12 16:58:07

2/3 of fostering allowance is classed as expenses so not counted as income.

It has always been the case that you could claim income support if fostering.

AmberLeaf Mon 08-Oct-12 17:02:00

Foster carers may be in a position to claim any of the following benefits, according to circumstances

Income Support
Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance
Housing Benefit
Council Tax Benefit
Disability Living Allowance
Working Tax Credits


LadySybildeChocolate Mon 08-Oct-12 17:12:25

I'm self employed and entitled to working tax credit.

You could do with popping to the CAB, OP. They will do a benefit check for you.

LFCisTarkaDahl Mon 08-Oct-12 17:16:30

Won't you need to be reassessed if you split - surely you foster together ? confused

AmberLeaf Mon 08-Oct-12 17:18:29

Single parents/people are allowed to foster.

LFCisTarkaDahl Mon 08-Oct-12 17:24:06

Yes, I know that, I'm a carer. I wondered if she had to be RE assessed, I would be if dh and I split - or rather foster dd wouldn't automatically come with me.

floatyjosmum Fri 12-Oct-12 20:35:01

I think the benefit issue depends if you foster for the la or an ifa.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: