Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Help about a car accident.

(1 Post)
EchoDragon Thu 04-Oct-12 08:10:05

I'll try to keep this short.

Recently went into the back of someone. It was my fault. Gave her all my details but not my policy number these were on a card from my insurance company.

Damage looked minimal she said she wasn't bothered about claiming. Then said she would get a friend to look at it. They could respray it cheaply. I stupidly said ok let me know costs and we'll sort it out.

Several months later still heard nothing. Then a couple of days ago she sent me the bill. It's over eight hundred pounds. Since the accident I have had no contact at all with her.

She had the car repaired within ten days of the accident. But never contacted me to ask if I was ok to still pay that much or was I still happy to pay it or even give me chsnce to get alternative quotes.I would have told her I wanted to speak to my insurance company as couldn't pay that much.

I do appreciate it was very stupid of me to not report it to insurance company and am not asking you to tell me to refuse to pay it. But I can't afford to pay it all in one lump sum.

I guess what I want to know is

A Can I propose paying in installments to her.
B If she refuses to let me where legally where do I stand?

It was a conversation between us almost 3 months ago that was not recorded. Neither of us has proof what the other one said. I would appreciate any advice greatly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: