Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Made redundant 3 weeks before baby due, paternity pay?

(5 Posts)
eeyore12 Tue 02-Oct-12 09:39:14

Hi my husband was made redundant yesterday along with the rest of his office, they are being kept on and paid until the end of this month. Baby is due on the 18th nov, he had booked a weeks paternity leave and a week al for after baby is due but ob now won't be in a job.

If he doesn't find a new job by the time baby arrives is he still entitled to paternity pay via the hrmc? We know if he starts a new job he won't be entitled to it and no paid leave either unless the new company give it to him.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

prh47bridge Tue 02-Oct-12 10:41:39

I'm afraid he is not entitled to paternity pay. One of the conditions is that he continues to work for the same employer without a break up to the date the child is born. Sorry.

eeyore12 Wed 03-Oct-12 13:10:19

Ok thanks could only find different answers when googling some said yes some said no but I knew a mums netter would know for sure. He is no not being made redundant or if he is it won't be till after baby comes and so he should be ok for paternity and annual leave for the two weeks as we had planned.

whohellhe Wed 03-Oct-12 15:13:20

Doesn't look like he will be entitled to anything I'm afraid;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018750

Hope the above link works.

I was on the direct gov website as I'm in a smiliar position but looks like I may be entitled to maternity allowance...not a great time to be facing redundnacy is it? sad

eeyore12 Wed 03-Oct-12 17:14:31

Nope but as I say hopefully his work have changed their minds for another couple of months at least. I know we get maternity allowance if it happens to us so why not men, why do they pay ni the same as us, doesn't seem fair as it is we can only afford for him to have one week off as paternity the other week he has had to save al for so will only be home for two weeks with his new baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now