Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Three- Contract ends, still taking money

(3 Posts)
TheLazyGirlBlog Mon 01-Oct-12 17:25:54

I'm rubbish at legal matters but could do with some advice.

I signed up to three for a broadband dongle in 2009. Had nothing but trouble, rude Customer service staff, the whole lot. Blogged about it at the time, and, as a result, was promised a lifetime reduction in charges. Was getting 15GB for £12 a month.

Put up with it, avoided having to speak to C/S as they were useless, rude and unhelpful. Saw out my 24 month contract. This wasn't a rolling contract, it was fixed for the 24 months.

In November 2011, the dongle stopped working, no notice, nothing, so I thought my kids may have busted it! I contacted them via email, and was told it wasn't broken, it was switched off as my contract had ended after the agreed 24 month period. I was advised if I wanted to renew, I'd have to pay £25, but I wouldn't be entitled to the supposed "Lifetime" amount. So, I said no.

In June when Natwest went doolally, I had a few returned item fees due to Direct Debits bouncing, and had to give a list to the bank so they could pay me back. Amongst these Direct Debits was Three- for the dongle.

I checked with Natwest, and Three have been removing between £12 and £17 since November 2011. For a dongle I no longer have a contract which closed.

I have tried to sort it out, but they are useless. They say I'm at fault as I didn't give them notice, but I was a fixed term customer, and they made no attempt to contact me via email, writing or phone that the contract was ending.

I should have noticed sooner, I know, but I have so many Direct Debits going out I barely noticed such a small amount. I closed it at once, but now have received bills for now £36 and court action threats. This is for a contract I was told was closed!

They have made no attempt to refund me, and I doubt they will.

What is my legal standing if any? Its around £130 I'm owed

prh47bridge Mon 01-Oct-12 17:57:37

From what you have posted this is straightforward. They haven't got a leg to stand on. They stopped providing a service in November 2011 when they disabled your dongle. They have therefore been charging you for a service you have not received and you are entitled to get your money back.

TheLazyGirlBlog Mon 01-Oct-12 18:08:16

Thank you! Just wanted to check as I'm going to the head of operations regarding this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now