Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Independent School withdrawal penalties

(3 Posts)
Alfiebean Sun 30-Sep-12 22:46:19

I am about to enter into a dispute with an independent school that is claiming I owe a term's fees because I declined a place for my child with insufficient notice. It's not that straightforward though and I'm looking for advice from anyone in a genuinely able to give it please.

mumblechum1 Mon 01-Oct-12 10:29:25

What exactly does your contract say? I'm not sure about what happens if your child hasn't started at school yet, but certainly the usual terms are that a full school term's notice must be given.

So if your child starts in September and you decide to withdraw them at the end of Sept, you are liable to pay until Christmas PLUS a full term's notice in addition, so are only free to stop paying at Easter.

Read your contract carefully and if you're still not sure, re-post.

LadySybildeChocolate Mon 01-Oct-12 10:42:31

A terms notice must usually be given before the previous term starts, so if your child is due to start in September notice must be given before the start of the summer term, so April. It does depend on your contract though, but this is standard practice. It's to cover the school in case they can't fill the place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now