Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any advice on getting a British Passport without a WRS number?

(9 Posts)
blueemerald Fri 27-Jul-12 12:29:04

Hello everyone,

I have a friend who moved to the UK from Poland 5 years ago. She has been in full time employment since she arrived apart from the year she spent doing her PGCE (she now has a teaching job to start in September and has all her P45s and P60s). She has now started looking at applying for a British Passport. She has discovered that she/her first employer was suppose to register with the now non existent Worker Registration Scheme when she arrived but she did not do this.

Is there any way around this (the form says that without a WRS number her application *will be turned down*)? Will her first boss (now DP for 5 years) get in trouble for employing her without one?

Ponders Fri 27-Jul-12 12:32:42

is she a British citizen?

blueemerald Fri 27-Jul-12 13:08:04

No, She was born in Poland to two Polish parents. She has a Polish Passport and ID card.

Ponders Fri 27-Jul-12 18:05:34

"to be eligible for a British passport you must have British nationality"

"Foreign nationals or Commonwealth citizens do not automatically gain citizenship simply because they live in the UK.
Having ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK, or the ‘right of re-admission’, only refers to your immigration status. It does not entitle you to British nationality or to British passport facilities."

titchy Fri 27-Jul-12 18:59:14

Why does she want one?

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 27-Jul-12 19:34:02

She needs to naturalise first, before she can have a passport. Why bother, if you are from an EU country? It's a long and not cheap process.

blueemerald Sat 28-Jul-12 18:09:36

I'm not entirely convinced sure why she wants a British Passport. I know she wants to travel to the US but she would still need a visa to do that with a British Passport. I think a lot of it is psychological, she doesn't feel very Polish and rejects a lot of their culture, she feels she fits in better with British culture/attitudes in general. I agree that it is an expensive and long process and she knows this (her partner is Pakistani and he has just got a British Passport after being here for 20 years) so I'll keep trying to change her mind.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Gosia81 Sat 17-Dec-16 21:08:35

Hi there I apply for my son passport as a single parent. I provided them with all documents but I wasn't registered by my boss under working registration schem (WRS). Because of this one thing missing they rejected the application and asking me to regime son as a British citizen which costs over £900.00 and then I can reapply for his passport!
Pretty please help as do not wish to spend this amount of money on this!

Thank you

Gosia81 Sat 17-Dec-16 21:09:54

Regime =register sorry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now