Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Summoned to court after XH sent personal letter to judge!

(6 Posts)
stickymits Fri 14-Oct-11 18:00:31

I have received a letter from the family courts stateing I have to attend a hearing due to my XH sending a personal letter to the judge. I have asked to see the letter but i have been refused as XH did not agree. Is this right? Isn't there a procedure to follow? I thought all document should be disclosed before any hearing?

ElsieMc Fri 14-Oct-11 18:04:11

I wrote to the Judge in our family case and copies of letters are sent to all parties or so I had always believed. In fact, I generally sent anything I sent to the court to other parties involved. The Circuit Judge said that anything he received would be seen by everyone else involved.

If you cannot see the letter, how can you prepare yourself for court when you don't know what it says?

Collaborate Sun 16-Oct-11 00:28:33

Write your own letter to the judge, and name the cretinous member of court staff that told you that. Shame on them. You're entitled to a copy.

Tyr Sun 16-Oct-11 00:42:57

Anything he submits to the judge has to be disclosed to you. Judges don't generally appreciate this kind of thing so he better have something worthwhile to say for himself.

stickymits Sun 16-Oct-11 23:10:54

I wrote to the judge requesting a copy and received a phone call from the court telling me the judge had said as it was a personal letter to the court it was up to XH to give permission for me to see it. He refused. I will write again tomorrow but my hearing is on Tuesday and i'm worried i will go to court still not knowing what he has said in the letter. How can i be summoned to court without knowing what it is about properly?

DollyFlop Sun 16-Oct-11 23:18:34

I would suggest that you go to court, find out during the hearing what it is about, and ask for an adjournment of the hearing to prepare your response. Bit of a pain though.

Don't be pushed into saying something in court on spur of the moment. You shouldn't be bullied into anything, and the court should give you time to respond if it is something important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now