Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can anyone tell me about deceased solicitors and their records?

(4 Posts)
scaryteacher Thu 06-Oct-11 17:10:45

We are having problems with mil after the death of my much loved fil. She is denying all knowledge of the tenancy for the house and some land being severed and being tenants in common, and the solicitor who drew up the tenancy in common has died. He was a one man band.

Who would have all his papers? Would they go to the law society and how would I get hold of the papers in question?

I live abroad, so am trying to do this long distance.

zipzap Thu 06-Oct-11 22:55:57

Not a legal bod sorry but would you/the executors be able to contact the bank if they had anything to do with the land - they might hold contracts. Alternatively do the land registry office hold this sort of info?

Collaborate Thu 06-Oct-11 23:08:44

Contact the SRA (Solicitors Regulation Authority). If he dies in practice they'll know where the files are kept. Beware though that most solicitors destroy files after 6 years. He should have registered the severance of the joint tenancy at the land registry.

scaryteacher Fri 07-Oct-11 08:22:11

He didn't register the severance of the tenancy at the land registry as far as we know. It was done in the late 90s, so I am not sure of the date from which is was mandatory to register these things. The ILs have had their house since 59 and the land from 72, so a long time.

The other problem is that the dead solicitor was the other executor on pils will, so it is just mil now, and she is obfuscating at every turn.

Thanks for your responses - I'll give the SRA a bell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now