Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How much can I expect to have to pay for a divorce?

(4 Posts)
LionsnTigersnBears Wed 05-Oct-11 19:52:06

My situation is somewhat unusual. I separated from my husband in 1996 and haven't seen him since. I have been in a committed relationship with my partner for 10 years and we now have a toddler, so there is no question of a contest over the divorce. The problem is I have no idea where he is or how to go about finding him. I've used the standard electoral roll based searches and Tracesmart with no luck. I'd like to get a legal divorce now, in part because of my dd, but have no idea what kind of legal fee horror I'm looking at. Can anyone share experiences?

thanks!

sneezecakesmum Wed 05-Oct-11 22:08:07

Have you tried facebook?

No idea how to divorce the invisible man!

STIDW Thu 06-Oct-11 01:27:06

It might be worth requesting a decree absolute search from the Principal Registry of the Family Division (google the address) to check if he has divorced you. The cost is £40, unless it has gone up recently.

To divorce you would need to show the court that every reasonable attempt to trace your husband has been made - checking the electrol role; contacting friends, family and last known employer; placing adverts in the newspapers etc. Once there is evidence all reasonable attempts have been made you can apply for dispensing with service and the court can grant a divorce anyway.

Costs depend on whether you do-it-yourself, use an online service or high street solicitor. Basically you get what you pay for. With all of them the court fee costs £300 unless you are on a low income and qualify for exemption. DIY involves doing some research and filling in forms. Online services will complete the forms for you for less than a couple of hundred pounds and a high street solicitor will give a more personal service and advice and charge according to the amount of work involved.

I would recommend doing as much tracing yourself as you can to help keep costs down and in his particular case paying a solicitor to ensure the forms are completed correctly.

Collaborate Thu 06-Oct-11 11:51:56

Court fees to issue a petition are now £340, with further fees due of £45 to £52.

A straightforward divorce should set you back around £1200-1500. Add on an unspecified amount if you want the solicitor to find the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now