Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any solicitors out there or anyone with experience of seperation/divorce...need to know where I stand...

(2 Posts)
Midgeroo Wed 05-Oct-11 11:34:01

We've had lots of ups and downs and my husband has mentioned divorce in the past.

I am now getting a bit fed up of his mood swings and threats and I am getting to a point where I want to ask him to move out for maybe a trial seperation to start with.

I can't afford a solicitor but really want to know where I stand with the kids (do they automatically stay with the mother), House (does whoever look after the kids automatically stay there until they reach a certain age), savings etc.

He's said we'd have to sell the house but I've put a lot into it and it's the kids home so I really don't want to sell it. I would try to take it on myself but if I don't have to re-mortgage straight away this obviously helps!

Any advice would be much appreciated

prh47bridge Wed 05-Oct-11 12:05:37

The children do not automatically stay with the mother nor does the parent looking after the children automatically get the house. To get proper advice you need to see a solicitor. You should be able to find one who will give you an initial consultation free of charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now