Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

CSA help ex made redundant

(18 Posts)
sand12 Tue 04-Oct-11 16:51:44

I'm going to lose my children's home i'm so worried my ex has told CSA change of circumstances he has been made redundant he has worked for a bank for 17 years what happens next? he would of received a large payout, i'm just interested in my monthly CSA payments what happens next he has lied to CSA re how long he has worked there for, to get away with paying me less, how can I make the CSA go to is company and check it out

STIDW Tue 04-Oct-11 17:41:21

As I understand it the CSA don't take statutory pay into account as income but they will take account of contractual pay. For this they would normally need documentation from your ex, or if it isn't forthcoming his employer would be duty bound to provide the information at the request of the CSA. Sadly if he has been made redundant it may well be a case of not being able to get blood from a stone until he finds new employment.

STIDW Tue 04-Oct-11 17:49:00

Sorry, I'm suffering from jet lag. That should be statutory redundancy pay and contractual redundancy pay.

virgiltracey Tue 04-Oct-11 17:52:39

I believe that's right. Its the same as if you were together and he was made redundant - your lifestyle would be expected to cange to fit your new circumstances. I know that's hard to accept when you are not together anymore but if he doesn't have the money he can't pay. If he is lying however the CSA will look into it for you.

sand12 Tue 04-Oct-11 20:34:44

Thanks but if he worked for 17 years would that mean he would get 17 weeks pay as redundancy? if so would i get 17 weeks of CSA does any1 know?

STIDW Tue 04-Oct-11 22:11:01

IT depends on your ex's terms of employment. Statutory redundancy pay is the minimum someone is legally entitled to if they are made redundant. Some employers have redundancy schemes that pay over and above the minimum amount. As I said above statutory redundancy payments aren't considered income for CSA assessment purposes but any contractual statutory pay is.

STIDW Tue 04-Oct-11 22:13:15

Grr... Contractual statutory pay?? I really must get some sleep. That last bit should be contractual redundancy pay.

sand12 Tue 04-Oct-11 22:23:00

Thank you Stid i would guess it would be contractural

prh47bridge Tue 04-Oct-11 23:10:26

If he is under 41 and over 22 statutory redundancy pay is 1 week's pay for each year of service. If he is over 41 this rises to 1.5 weeks pay for each year of service. The maximum weekly pay for this calculation is £400. So if he has worked for the bank for 17 years, is under 41 and earns at least £20800 a year he will be entitled to £6800 statutory redundancy pay. As STIDW says you will not be entitled to any of that. However, if he receives more than this amount you may be entitled to a slice of that.

sand12 Wed 05-Oct-11 13:08:13

Thanks prh he is 40!! I have found out today he was a director at the bank!so i think his redundancy will be more but CSA have told me he hasn't paid me for September and won't advise me of the next stage! I asked to speak csa finance department to be told you can't can I leave a message are they going to chase arrears it's like banging your head against a brick wall!!!!!.

Whilst in the meantime I'm struggling to pay my small mortagage and bills to keep the roof over my children's heads.

GypsyMoth Wed 05-Oct-11 13:11:19

Hope he finds another job soon!

Ladymuck Wed 05-Oct-11 13:13:14

Just be aware that the term "director" is often used as a job description in banking, rather than meaning that he is one of the Board of Directors. If he was on the Board, then it is unlikely that he would be making himself redundant. My dh is a "managing director" and doesn't have any staff working for him.

I would expect him to be getting redundancy pay that is higher than statutory though.

sand12 Wed 05-Oct-11 14:02:36

Hi Lady I know he's not on the board of director's, it's just one of the title's to make them feel important! I also think he would get higher than the statutory pay. For September he has refused to pay CSA he got made redundant 5 weeks ago, CSA won't tell me anything until november when they have done the assessment but in the meantime if he doesn't pay anything I may lose my home!

Ladymuck Wed 05-Oct-11 17:11:07

Make sure that you keep talking to your mortgage company then. Explain the situation. Much better to have early discussions than to simply fail to pay the mortgage.

virgiltracey Wed 05-Oct-11 18:10:53

the fact that he is a director doesn't mean he will get more than statutory redundancy. I hold a senior role and am a high earner but if I get made redundant I would get statutory redundancy pay only. It entirely depends on how generous the company decides to be. Many nowadays decide not to offer anything more than statutory and its generally only the public sector or heavily unionised environments where they pay out the big bucks.

sand12 Thu 06-Oct-11 11:09:09

Thanks lady I have but because I have a fixed rate mortgage they aren't interested and repeatly told me not to get behind on my payments because my home will be repossessed!

sand12 Wed 12-Oct-11 16:31:07

I have been paid the measly sum of £5.00 through CSA from my ex doesn't he have to pay at least £5 per week?

sand12 Wed 12-Oct-11 16:31:40

Sorry the £5.00 is for a month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now