Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

how do you pursue child maintenance/support if father gone to live abroad?

(6 Posts)
RavenVonChaos Fri 16-Sep-11 00:20:03

basically a friend of mine is living on her student loan to support three kids. She does not know how to pursue him for child support. Will it cost her a fortune in legal fees? Or can she do it herself - he is in Spain.

GypsyMoth Fri 16-Sep-11 08:38:42

I don't think it's enforceable.

TheGoldRoad Fri 16-Sep-11 09:17:45

It can be if the country he has gone to has a reciprocal arrangement with the UK.

Have a look here to see which countries have : www.csa.gov.uk/en/case/remo.asp#S5

Collaborate Fri 16-Sep-11 13:40:31

Also if he works for a UK based company the CSA might still have jurisdiction. Haven't come accross REMO save for someone applying against someone in this country, in which the court, for free, pursues the absent parent for maintenance. Go for it.

RavenVonChaos Fri 16-Sep-11 15:59:04

Thanks guys. Will get on the case with her.

babybarrister Tue 20-Sep-11 06:54:51

certainly is enforceable - there is also a new EU Maintenance Regulation - not a problem with Spain I can promise!!!

the only thing is whether he is an employee or self employed as the self employed are always a nightmare nomatter where they are located

also FWIW you can get 2 months immediate custody in Spain if you disobey a court maintenance order - even if you are in fact applying for a downward variation!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now