Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

shared credit card in my name

(6 Posts)
Emmaeek Tue 13-Sep-11 13:58:44

Hi ladies.
Bit of advice if any of you have been through this please...
I split with my partner of 10 years last year. During that time, everything was always in my name (apart from the mortgage which was joint). When we split (I left him, lets just say he wasn't a very nice person...) I left as quickly as I could. I didn't take any possessions apart from our sons drawers, wardrobe and some of his toys. Since it was me leaving, I really didn't want the hassle of trying to reason with him over items in the house. He bought me out of the house, so I just left him with everything in it.
During our time together, we had a credit card (in my name) which we used when I was on maternity leave, for food etc etc (this was about 3 years before I left). At the end of my 6 months maternity leave, he was involved in a major motorbike accident and so I had to take another 6 months of work to look after him (he was in a wheelchair for several months and unable to do anything). We agreed that whilst money wasn't coming in, we would just use the credit card to cover everything and pay it back as soon as normality returned. When I left him (as I said, about 3 years later), we agreed to split the credit card bill which remained and pay each half ourselves. Stupidly, I never got this in writing. I moved my half to an interest free card to clear it faster, but he refused to do the same (he just liked knowing that he always had this control over me, knowing I was worried he'd stop paying it). Now he has decided to stop paying it and has sent me emails claiming to know nothing about it. For the last year he has been paying his minimum payment on it, but now claims that this was part of his maintenance and he knows nothing about the card. The frustrating thing is that any actual items bought on that card are still in his house (I have no receipts though, just the credit card statements). I was considering going to small claims, but from what I've read they won't do anything as it's in my name, end of. I'm hoping to start mediation with him soon and to be able to raise it then. Has anyone else been in a similar position or know if there is anything at all I can do/try?
Thank you very much for any advice!

Collaborate Tue 13-Sep-11 15:20:07

Small claims court. It's the only way. Get a form N1 from the county court website.

Emmaeek Mon 19-Sep-11 12:15:17

Well it now turns out that he's been purchasing items online from microsoft over the last 2 years, so looks like if he continues refusing to acknowledge the card, that he's be facing criminal charges! :-)

Collaborate Mon 19-Sep-11 13:24:24

don't get too excited. I fail to see what crime he's committed here. If his purchases have appeared on your statements for 2 years and you've done nothing about it that suggestes he used the card with your knowledge and consent. I do that with my wife's card. Doesn't make me a criminal.

trixymalixy Mon 19-Sep-11 22:02:46

Why the hell did you not cancel his card?!?!!?!?!?!?

I'm sorry, but I think you are liable for the debt as you let him have a card on your account and did nothing to stop him spending on your account.

YoungMotherTubby Mon 19-Sep-11 22:07:50

You are the card holder and he is the authorised user and therefore you are completely responsible for the debt in the eyes of the card provider.
It wouldn't have mattered even if you had something signed by him at the time - it wouldn't have been binding with card provider - they would have put at 'stop' on the account until fully repaid.

Sorry but looks like you'll have to pay and claim money from him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now