Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

What is the procedure if I have scraped someone's car?

(13 Posts)
Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 13-Sep-11 08:29:00

The man whose car I scraped has phoned me twice in 11 hours asking for insurance details which I said I would get him. Have not done so yet because the accident only bloody happened at 4.30pm yesterday which is now 18 hours ago!

Do I let my insurers know first? Surely he would need to let his know and then get quotes etc for repair work? I may not even want to claim on insurance if it will affect my no claims bonus! I took off about 15 cm long and 1/2 cm wide scrape of paint.

Fucken men and their cars.....

southeastastra Tue 13-Sep-11 08:30:57

you should give insurance details straight away. it's not up to you to decide

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 13-Sep-11 08:38:11

I did not have them to hand so I gave him name, phone number, name of insurer and took his phone number and said I would ring him.

Best I keep insurance details in my car, it seems.

I am not intentionally withholding info - just had not given it to him yet.

I will text it to him today.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 13-Sep-11 08:38:29

As I understand it, you have to provide your insurance details. TBH you seem to be taking a long time about it - the normal thing is to carry a copy in your car and exchange at the scene. The chap needs your details to give to his insurers - he probably wants to get it all sorted in one call, I know I would.

You should also let your insurers know - it may invalidate your insurance if you don't.

Sorry, you've damaged someone else's property and you should follow the rules. Its not your call whether to claim on insurance. (I know its a bummer, I've done it myself a few times. You usually get a couple of 'lives' on no claims bonus)

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 13-Sep-11 08:38:29

thanks for reply, by the way!

LaurieFairyCake Tue 13-Sep-11 08:39:20

You're supposed to give them immediately. You will have to tell your insurance company anyway. Whether you choose to offer him money instead is a seperate issue.

"Fucking men and their cars" is as bad as "Fucking women drivers" - get a grip hmm

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Tue 13-Sep-11 08:43:11

When someone hit the c-max I had from Mumsnet I was told by the police that you don't have to give insurance details at all.
All that is needed is the car registration and the other insurance company can get all your details from that.

southeastastra Tue 13-Sep-11 08:44:46

that's true ineedacleaner but it's just easier all round to get the repairs going

AMumInScotland Tue 13-Sep-11 08:49:22

Legally, you are required to give your details at the time of the accident - your name, address, car number plate, and insurance details.

So you should phone him back and give him the info at once.

Even if you don't want to claim on the insurance, you don't have a choice about letting the other driver know your details, and if he chooses to go through the insurance rather than letting you pay direct then that's up to him.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 13-Sep-11 09:02:17

Thanks for replies.

I will text him the info this morning. I had given him name, mobile number, car reg and name of insurer but for completeness's sake, I will text him my policy number.

Laurie: I know! Facetiousness does not translate well in typed mode.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 13-Sep-11 10:17:27

DH reckons we need confirmation that the man whose car I scraped is insured. But that has no bearing on what my responsibilitie are, does it?

All I need to do is give him my details (which I now have - claim number etc) and then he has to take it further. So, if he is not insured, then that is his problem - am I right?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 13-Sep-11 10:57:16

Much ado about nothing: I texted claimant and my insurance company had already telephoned him so it is now all out of my hands. Thank heavens.

Thanks again, everyone.

bemybebe Tue 13-Sep-11 12:24:08

Alliwant I hope you will resolve it in the best way possible for all involved.

(Hijack! )I had to add that I LIKE the idea of not paying the person who is not insured themselves. Uninsured drivers are a massive problem and we can count ourselves lucky if the person who causes damage has insurance policy at all...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now